We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

Will be our first trip to Portugal. Planning to rent a villa in Sao Rafael through this company. The only thing that concerns me is that deposit and balance are paid by bank transfer. Would have preferred to pay by credit card for added security. Anyone used this website or holidayseekers.co.uk who I believe are all the same company.

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

As far as I know holidayseekers.co.uk are based at the Marina in Albufeira, or so their website says.. Ownersdirect.co.uk is a british company based in Epsom Surrey were you deal with the owners of property direct. Where did you get the information that these two companies are of the same? Perhaps another member could comment with their views.

I recall a thread on holidayseekers not long ago, but it was holidayseekers.com not sure whether this is the same company. Do a search on holidayseekers in the searchbox at the top of the thread.

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

Hi. Apologies. You're correct they aren't the same company. The holidayseekers is the website I was directed to by the owner of the villa when I approached him via ownersdirect which as you said is a British based company. Holidayseekers.co.uk is based in Portugal. I'm sure it is all above board but just wanted to check before booking.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

Owners Direct is the platform which enables individual owners to advertise on their properties on the site. Many agents however, do advertise there as well, although they are not supposed to, unless they actually own the properties. Owners Direct, like other holiday websites, does not care if companies/owners/proeprties are all legit, they are only interested in the revenue that they get so you are wise to be cautious. Don't also think that an owner is safer than an agent, it is always good to do your homework first and see if there are any reviews or comments out there on the relevant company or property. Trip Advisor is an excellent medium for this.

Holidayseekers does have an office at Albufeira Marina and they are the same company that was mentioned in a thread last year wtih very mixed comments..

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

I forgot to add regarding the payment by bank transfer; a lot of companies have this but a lot of others also offer payment by credit card or PayPal, both of which offer you protection.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

I've used Owners Direct for a number of years (touch wood) without any problems - but as has been pointed out there are no guarantees from the company, or almost certainly none that would be legally enforceable.

I have always been cautious. Unless I have a personal connection with an owner I'll only go through a UK based individual for whom I have a confirmed address. That still doesn't avoid the unscrupulous but it does narrow down the risk.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

And outside the UK, MCG...?

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

A reputable company with a confirmed and substantiated track record.

Edited: 9:34 am, February 09, 2011
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

And one that takes credit card payments, as pointed out by a previous poster!

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

Fair comments, I wondered for a moment if you were xenophobic :-)

10. Re: ownersdirect.co.uk first trip to Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:37 am, February 09, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira