We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

Platte, South Dakota
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

My husband and I will fly into Lisbon on March 25,2009 and had planned to take the train or Bus to the Algarve region. My questions are,which area in the Algarve would be the best at the end of Feb for a couple in their early 50's mostly interested in beach walking and culture and whats the best way to get there, bus or train?

We do not plan on renting a car and would like it if possible if we can find a town/area where everything is within reasonable walking distance.

Would logaos or Faro be good? Albuferira?

So far im a bit overwhelmed and confused by the choices!

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

If you are planning to travel by Public Transport, strongly recommend you consider Lagos.

Faro has some historic sights but it is not by the Sea. It is inland on a lagoon. It can be visited in a day by train or bus from Lagos.

Albufeira, has good bus services but the train station is 6 km from town. It is also tourist heaven.

In Lagos, we have great beaches including the 5km long Meia Praia Beach, some wonderful views and the town itself retains a strong Portuguese flavour. However, our town council has taken upon itself to dig up part of our main avenida in at present as part of a town modernisation project. Nonetheless, I think it would be a great place to stay.

Have a look at these items on my blog:

http://barlaventostravelblog.blogspot.com/search?q=lisbon+lagos

…blogspot.com/2008/07/train-or-drive-from-li…

As regards hotels in Lagos, have a look at the Albergaria Marina Rio or the Marina Club. You can find their details on this page or a Lagos-based event I am helping organise:

www.dancaiberica.org/index.php…

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

We did this journey early this year and used the train, booked the fast train first class and had a great time, hot meals were served and there was a bar onboard, got off at Albufeira fully relaxed and caught the taxi into town.

Albufeira
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

Albufeira is central from everything in the Algarve . You get a bus or taxi ( 10 Euros ) from the train station to Old Town ... There you will find everything you need

london, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

I agree Albufeira will make the best winter base for you, and there are regular direct buses between the town and Lisbon (which are definitely easier and quicker and likely cheaper than the train - 2h45m approx). It will be a longer journey for you, with a change usually needed, from any of the resorts resorts east and west of Albufeira.

We hope to do this journey(in reverse) in January as a long daytrip.

Here is the website with timetable:

http://www.eva-bus.com

Have a great time!

Dee

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,777 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

The RENEX bus company also operates between Lisbon and all the major Algarve towns

www.renex.pt

Note that the two bus companies use different terminals in Lisbon. EVA/Rede-Expressos use the SETE Rios terminal, RENEX use the ORIENTE Terminal. The latter is just over a mile from the airport, Sete Rios is about 3 miles.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

If you want beach walking and culture I would say that Lagos is for you ,with the plus that the train station and bus station are very central so it is easy to visit other places

Dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

Only saw your query today, hope I'm not too late as you've probably organised your travel arrangements already. I would highly recommend Lagos for your forthcoming trip. It's a workig fishing village, steeped in history and large enough to keep your interest, with many wonderful sights and pedestrianised coppled streets. With some of the nicest and longest beaches in the Algarve and restaurants to suit every taste, I guarantee you'll never get bored.

I've travelled by train and bus to and from Lisbon many years ago and found the train to be the best means of transport by far. Book directly at the station (no pre-booking necessary)however, unless it's changed since then, you will have to change trains at Tunnes in the Algarve - this transfere is included in the original cost of your ticket. No hassle - everything is clearly signposted.

Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

Can you get a bus and /or train from Albufeira directly to Lisbon? if so roughly how long is the journey and how much?

Sam

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

AaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggH!

For the umpteenth time, please, please, please.......

1) Search this forum (box above) as this has been answered many times before.

2) See Cubsur's www.algarvebus.info.

3) See these articles on my blog which should help:

…blogspot.com/2009/01/lisbon-to-algarve.html

and

barlaventostravelblog.blogspot.com/search…

Exits Forum muttering ......... ::::(((((((

10. Re: Lisbon to Algarve by Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira