We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New town? Or old town?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
642 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
New town? Or old town?

Hi

So sorry if this has been asked before!! I know how boring it is when someone asks the same question over again.

Iv never been to Portugal and we keep saying we will go!

Usually go to lanzarote, Greece, and benidorm!

I like a busy nightlife ( but not mad like benidorm, magaluf, etc.....). Like nice bars, with a bit of life/entertainment ( not nightclubs,or even tribute bands!! )

We're in our 40"s/50"s! Is the old town/new town similar to benidorms new/old town, as in new town scruffy, rough, lots of stag n hens, where the old town more laid back, quieter, but still busy with more refined bars!! . Hope I don't come across snobby as it's not my intention.

Iv seen golden beach apartments, would these be suitable for us, or would you suggest we look at apartments in the old town ( or would it be too quiet)

Many thanks for any advise or recommendations x

12 replies to this topic
S Wales
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New town? Or old town?

Old town defo. A very mixed type of bar, club music to country.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New town? Or old town?

Stick with Old Town, The Strip is Party Central, lots of Stags and Hen's etc. But it does depend on the time of year, not so many around when prices of flights/accomodation rise. Definitely not like Magaluf and lots of families around during the day, but very lively later on.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
642 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New town? Or old town?

Thank you so much!!!

We take another look , and book the old town!!! As long as there are plenty of bars/restaurants/ and nice walks I"ll be happy! Really don't want rowdy!! Was looking to book 4/13!september

Many thanks , I will make another list of apartments (!jet 2) and make a short list then get back to see what you suggest if you don't mind!!!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
503 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New town? Or old town?

Alvor is an alternative which might suit It has over one hundred restaurants and bars,some with live music,,karaoke etc.No stags or hens in Alvor but a lovely laid back friendly atmosphere.There is a superb beach and extended board walk beside the beach that extends for miles,

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New town? Or old town?

Old Town (Albufeira) is full of restaurants/bars etc. Will still be very busy in September but Albufeira is a very big place, plenty of places to get away from the obvious tourist hotspots.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
642 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New town? Or old town?

Many thanks for your replies will look at Alvor too !

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New town? Or old town?

I prefer the new town to be honest I find the old town far to busy, the new town does have quieter roads to go for a drink and the beach is better than old town Santa Eulalia is my favourite and we are a couple who are mid 40s.

S Wales
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New town? Or old town?

I've stayed in the new town twice at Ouratlantico Apartments. They are great for the money. Really spacious. Close enough to the strip but far enough away not to be in the thick of it. Beach end, top end of strip we found quite rowdy. Lovely bars and restaurants to right and left of apartments. Went to old town for a change, loved it there but quite hilly. Mixed music bars. €5 for taxi. Worth a visit if staying in new town. We booked with travel republic and flew with jet2 who were brilliant

Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New town? Or old town?

Go to the old town...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New town? Or old town?

Like posts 7 and 8, we prefer new town. Santa Eulalia area our first choice, lots of nice restaurants and all kinds of bars - quiet, lively, ect, something to suit all tastes. Went to old town too which is great but overall prefer new town. Enjoy.

Reply to: New town? Or old town?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira