We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Hello Everybody!

We are going to stay in Albufeira in April.

Does anybody know about nature walks and treks from Albufeira?

I mean, just from Albufeira. To avoid buses and other type of transfers ;)

Maybe along beaches or other nature spots?

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,777 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Will you have a car? Otherwise there are few places accessible. And where in Albufeira would you be staying? It is a very big town.

About 4 miles west of the town is the area of the Salgados nature reserve and sand dunes. Nice big beach there. April may not be beach weather however. Salgados is one of the places you can get to by bus.

There are marked circular walking trails in the countryside from the village of Paderne, about 13km north of Albufeira and also accessible by bus.

I can fill in details as required as I have been to both many time.

Edited: 4:04 am, December 12, 2017
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,777 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Sorry 4 miles = 6km

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

cubsur, thanks for your fast reply!

No, we have no plans to rent a car, and we understand, it is not a beach season.

Beaches are not a purpose, but nature around and walks.

Now we are choosing a place to stay. Albufeira looks nice and easy accesible by public transport, thats why I asked.

We are going to have a long trip from Madrid to Lisbon in April.

And after Sevilla we are looking for a nature place to spend 5-10 days.

Maybe you could advise a place more suitable for us than Albufeira?

We like walking and we need supermarket in a walking distance also.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,777 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Albufeira is a good place for an out of season stay. It is a town of 25,000 residents with all the supermarkets, shops, restaurants and bars for residents that stay open all year. It is big because in summer Albufeia becomes a small city of 100,000 people. In winter 70% of properties are empty.

If you are two people and look for an apartment rental either in the middle of the town or close by where I live 1km from the centre, I know the owners of two places myself. Otherwise a website like Airbnb has many possibilities.

This page will tell you about the places you can get to by bus from Albufeira - www.algarvebus.info/004.htm

Towns like Loulé, Silves and Messines also have good walking in the countryside nearby.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,971 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Beaches are not a purpose, but nature around and walks. Then why Albufeira? It's one of the most heavily built places in the Algarve... Coming from Sevilla, the Ohão/Tavira region with the Ria Formosa natural park is much more attractive. Here are some info about trails in Algarve http://www.iltm.com/__novadocuments/62282 and some info about the Ria https:/…ria-formosa

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

As mentioned Salgados is nice. You can actually start at Gale beach, go past Salhados, and then continue all the way to the far end of Armacao de Pera which I think is about 5-6km.

For a short but nice walk right in the middle of Albuferia there are some nice walks along the cliffs from Praia dos Aveiros.

If you're thinking about areas other than Albufeira then near Silves is nice. Likewise Loule (around Alte) is pretty too.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Thank you very much, friends! It is more info than enough!

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Trekking , nature walks and Albufeira do not go together in the same sentence. You need to be somewhere like Olhao, Tavira , Rio Formosa. Albufeira is too built up for any nature to survive.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,777 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

I went for a walk around Salgados this afternoon. The lake is full and there are plenty of happy water fowl swimming around. And I saw a big flock of goats. You can get away from the hustle down there, even though it is not a huge area..

Edited: 12:53 pm, December 13, 2017
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?

Have to agree with cubsur, it's a lovely area and great for a stroll away from it all. Not huge but I can easily spend an hour or two, enjoying the lagoon and sometimes walk all the way to AdeP for a leisurely lunch before returning, (inlet to cross) I spend quite a lot of time both here and in Cabanas (Ria Formosa) and both the lagoon and Praia dos Salgados are beautiful and there's lots to see, sometimes Kingfishers, Flamingos and Terrapins. Plus occasionally some other not so pretty wildlife! :-))

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Reply to: Trekkings and nature walks from Albufeira?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira