We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Portugal advice needed

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Portugal advice needed

Myself and my partner are staying in holiday rental, close to pecadores from 6th October for 10 days. Any suggestions on excurtions, areas to visit for couples. Best beaches. Also what can we expect for the weather?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Portugal advice needed

I don't know of anywhere called 'Pecadores'.

I assume this is Praia dos Pescadores, the old 'FIshermen's Beach' in the old town area. (It isn't a Fishermen's beach any longer, they were moved out to the marina harbour area five or six years ago.)

Excursions? You should go to one of the many ticket shops or agencies that are in that part of town and see what's on offer. There aren't so many now that the main summer season is over. Without knowing what you might like or dislike, I cannot make any suggestions.

Some of the boat trips at the marina may still be running, but they are very much at the mercy of the weather. The agencies sell tickets for those, or you can walk over there (it's about a mile) and see what's what yourselves.

Best beaches? You will be almost on top of the main town beach, which is half a mile long, wide and sandy. The beach season officially ends on 15th October, but some people keep their beach chairs etc out after that if the weather is good.

If that isn't suitable, you must travel a couple of miles either side of town.

Weather mid October is slightly unpredictable, especially as it hasn't rained here for six months. Normally daytime will be in the 22 - 24 range, night-times 15 - 18 and it can be windy. Rain is the unknown. It doesn't rain here nastily all day every day, but what we tend to get is very heavy, sometimes violent storms for a few hours then it all goes away. As I said, we have had no rain here for six months so you just know...

Mentioned in this post
Praia Gale
Praia Gale
1,039 Reviews
Gale, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Portugal advice needed

Thank you, yes Praia dos Pescadores

I did not copy and paste correctly. I wasn't clear enough on excurtions, we like to see the real Portugal. Partner isn't keen on boat trips of even the water! I adore it, but as you say weather permitting. Weather that's to be expected I guess. I guess and see that

s Praia dos Pescadores

is a lovely beach

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Praia Gale
Praia Gale
1,039 Reviews
Gale, Portugal
Kildare
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Portugal advice needed

The "real" Portugal is inland, a lot easier to get to if you have a car. Some of the "Jeep Safari" trips will bring you into the mountains and the countryside, ask at the ticket shops.

Mentioned in this post
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Portugal advice needed

here is the main beach live ... http://albufeira.com/webcam/solemar/

example of tours http://followmetours.ondebiz.com/

other stuff https:/…things-to-do.php

Edited: 6:48 am, September 20, 2017
Level Contributor