We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in September 2014

1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon in September 2014

Looking to spend a week in the Algarve as part of our honeymoon trip to Portugal. We want luxury but we are not into the bar/club scene. We love to hike/walk and explore the older, more historic parts of the area. My first inclination is either to stay near Tavira on the East or Salema on the West but I could not find any luxury resorts or accomodations in those areas. Luxury to us means modern, clean and with a pool/hot tub/beach access. We will be travelling from Lisbon and are trying to plan this part of our trip without a car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,275 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in September 2014

Choose Tavira, althought you don't have beach acess here. Salema has nothing historic about it. Have you looked at the Pousada in Tavira pousadas.pt/historic-hotels-portugal/en/page…

Or Vila Galé Albacora (less luxury than the Pousada) www.vilagale.pt/pages/hoteis/index.php…

Luxury resorts with beach acess are usually located in man-made resorts like Vilamoura or Quinta do Lago, I think you'll have to compromise somewhere.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in September 2014

If you'd like it modern and luxury you could look into Sagres, the Martinhal beach resort.

Tavira, in the Eastern part of the Algarve has the lagoon (Ria Formosa) with barrier islands. You need to take a ferry to go to the beach.

3. Re: Honeymoon in September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 04, 2015