We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A22 Tolls

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
A22 Tolls

I am going to the Algarve for a long weekend, Thursday Night to Monday Morning, am really confused by these tolls. We are hiring a car at Faro Airport heading west.

How will i pay these tolls? if they don't appear at the Post office until after 48 hours, by then I will be heading home and using the A22 again.

Am i missing something? what do I need to do?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A22 Tolls

After the 48 hours you have one week to pay. If you don't the fine is €75.

When you return to the airport you will not be able to pay the tolls incurred on that day as they won't be in the system, so sort that out with the car hire company when you arrive.

Or use the N125.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A22 Tolls

One idea......Make a note of all tolls you go through and the cost which is displayed to the side of the toll, try to pay all tolls you pass through while you are there at a post office, the ones within 48 hrs of you leaving tell the rent company the cost of journeys and pay preferably on your card for reference. That has been done by a few people on the forum already. No feedback yet though. Gol through the threads for more info.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A22 Tolls

I think this is going to be a test of which car hire companies look after their customers and which ones try to rip them off. I'm hoping the firm I'm using falls into the former category (I've never had any problems with them and the service has always been excellent) and that they will pay the tolls on my behalf for a modest additional cost.

I will have to leave my credit card details with them and trust them to deal with it fairly. In the unlikely event that they don't, I will never use them again and I will name and shame them on this forum.

Paul V

lisbon
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A22 Tolls

At least there could be a website to pay.

If you're leaving the country you can't wait 48 hours.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A22 Tolls

Friends of mine trusted their credit card details to a car hire company when returning a recent let and were pleased to find that the company had correctly billed their card for tolls incurred on their way to the airport.

But whether that can be said for all for them...??

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A22 Tolls

Hi All-wonder if anyone has heard of the suggestion that the overhead gantries cannot read foreign plated vehicles?-here in the Lagos area the "rumours" have been circulating for some weeks.They seem to be borne out by one guy here who purchased a 90 day box some time ago-he is a regular user of the A22 and every time he logs on to his account there is no record of his journeys and nothing to pay!!-now this could just be that there is a glitch on his account OR it could go someway to validating the rumours-anybody heard of anything similar?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A22 Tolls

This has been raised before. The system does read all number plates but what then happens remains a mystery. Occasional visitors who wish to use the A22 etc are supposed to buy a temporary pre-paid pass when they cross the border. Spanish commuters coming over every day need the transponder, as does anyone coming on holiday and using the A22 while here. Owners of foreign cars coming here for a holiday for example.have various options for payment of tolls, if they wish to pay - this is in English.

http://www.estradas.pt/portagensestrangeiros

But whether the toll company has the means or willingness to chase foreign plated cars for the unpaid tolls apparently remains to be seen.

The fine for non-payment is 10 times the cost of the toll avoided, subject to a minimum of 25 Euros and a maximum of 125 Euros.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A22 Tolls

Hi Cubsur-dont doubt for one minute what you are saying but can you tell me how you know that the gantries "read" foreign plates?-is it first hand knowledge or supposition?-not trying to be confrontational here,just want to know.

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A22 Tolls

Rumours are just rumours...the systemis able to read all sort of plate numbers...

Its very easy to check this....buy a 5 day bonus on www.ctt.pt ...and after you use the motorway go back to the web and check what happened....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A22 Tolls

One of my neighbours visited Lagos the week before last. He hired a car and I asked him what he did about the toll on the A22. He said he just ignored it.

It will be interesting to see what happens next...