We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portimao or Lagos?

San Jose, Ca
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Portimao or Lagos?

We will be traveling to the Algarve in July.

We are a family of 4, two adults two teenagers. We like great little towns that are fun to explore. We like a very active town,but would prefer to avoid extremely busty big city seed atmosphere. Being close enough to walking to town and beach is very important. We have narrowed it down to Portimao and Lagos. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portimao or Lagos?

chaoticport,

For me it would be Lagos every time!

Lagos is a fishing town which has adapted to tourism without losing its character; there is lots to do there but the town retains its Portuguese flavour.

Portimao, on the other hand is a much larger commercial centre which, in my opinion, is far less personal. Whilst it's nice to visit Portimao ( which you can do quite easily by train from Lagos ) it's always nice to get back to the friendliness of Lagos.The town has narrow, cobbled streets lined with bars and restaurants and, in season, there are street entertainers - musicians, jugglers etc.Lagos has a beautiful marina from where you can take boat trips to see the dolphins, go deep-sea game fishing or just pleasure cruise. There are several beautiful beaches within walking distance, from small secluded coves to a 5k.m.beach which stretches from Lagos to Alvor, the neighbouring resort.

Hope this helps.

San Jose, Ca
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portimao or Lagos?

Thanks you for your quick and helpful response. One more question if I may...

Villabranca apartments or Hotel Tivoli Lagos, they are both rated well on this site. I was wondering which had the better location??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portimao or Lagos?

Without doubt, the Tivoli;it's less than a 10 minute walk from the town centre whilst the Vilabranca Apartments are a good 20 minute walk from town, and uphill on the way back.The extra convenience will, however, reflect in the price.

If you do choose Lagos and there is anything else you need help with, don't hesitate to ask.