We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Leeds
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Specifically, Im camping on Ise de Tavira then Sagres then Lagos. Will there be any problems with Mosquitos ?

The West Coast Adventure Co.
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
BlueXperiences
Boat Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Extremo Ambiente
Walking Tours, City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Bike Tours
Zip & Trip
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

We do have mosquitos and one bit me the other day when I was cycling through the salt marshes near Tavira.

If you are susceptible to their bites, bring your repellents and after bite stuff.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Yes there are, but do not unduly worry.

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant or slow moving water which accounts for Cubsur being bitten when traveling through the salt marshes.

Otherwise it is not a renown problem. If you want to play safe, buy a spray or plug in repellent as suggested.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

We were in Cabanas de Tavira last week (and the week before). There were LOTS of mosquitos. It was very hot and pretty humid.

Last year we were there in the same period and we saw none of them.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

That figures.

Stagnant or slow moving water.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

The stagnant / slow moving water was there last year too ...

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Try Avons ...'skin so soft' dry spray oil. There have been lots of recommendations for it in the past.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Very few mosquitoes here in Albufeira so far this year. They must all have moved to Tavira.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

Have to say that in the years we've been going to the Algarve neither of us have been bitten.

I may be tempting providence.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

We've just got back from Almancil area - Qunta Do Lago - and there were plenty if you were by the lakes there. We got a couple of bites but nothing terrible. I guess it depends if you are susceptible or not. Some people we saw were covered!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
974 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there mosquitos on the Algarve ?

I have read that places get sprayed to keep the level of mossies down. I also find sometimes bitten sometimes not. I sat at the bar at the Quatro Aguas ferry point once and I have never experienced a mosquito attack like it, had to leave. The person with me wasn't attacked by them at all. We always have plugins to use but I suppose that isn't possible when camping so take all sorts of repellant and something to treat bites with because the itching is annoying