We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collision Damage Waiver

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Collision Damage Waiver

Can anyone confirm exactly how this works. I though I knew, but now I'm not so sure.

My understanding was that any car hire must include insurance which provides full 3rd party cover without any excess. Is this correct?

However, you can be held liable for damage to the hire car itself. My understanding was that CDW put an upper limit on the amount you would be liable for in the event of damaging the hire car. This might (or might not) exclude damage to tires, locks and windows, for which separate cover could be purchased from the car hire company. You would have the option of purchasing SCDW, which would leave you free of all liability in respect of any damage to the hire car.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Edited: 7:51 am, September 15, 2017
3 replies to this topic
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Collision Damage Waiver

Here`s the top up insurance table from Economy Car Hire ( through Zest portal )

https:/…insurance

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Collision Damage Waiver

Thanks pyrman. I clicked on the link and it brought me through to their website, but I couldn't see anything about insurance cover.

Edited: 10:25 am, September 15, 2017
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Collision Damage Waiver

Sorry, must have reset .... fill in as if you are hiring a car .... the site will then show you cars available ... with price and a link for extra insurance, saying `more details` ... clicking that shows outline of cover.

Reply to: Collision Damage Waiver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Algarve