We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cartuxa Winery from Evora

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Cartuxa Winery from Evora

We are planning a day trip to Evora from Lisbon. I'd prefer to take the bus, but can rent a car if necessary. While in Evora, I'd like to see a winery, and Cartuxa seems pretty close. My question is, if I don't have a car, would there be taxis available in Evora that could take us to Cartuxa. And how hard would it be to summon one for a return into the city center?

Also, if anyone has better suggestions for winery visits, feel free to gve me your advice! Thanks!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,748 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cartuxa Winery from Evora

There are plenty of taxis in Évora, you just have to ask for the taxi to pick you back. But do you know that Cartuxa has a schedule for visits and you have to book it in advance? "All the tours are guided ending with a wine and olive oil tasting. Each tour takes approximately 1H30. Tours' Schedule: 11.30am, 3,00pm and 4.30pm." Here's the site fundacaoeugeniodealmeida.pt/cartuxa/…

Winery visits on a day tour to Évora are not easy to fit in. But while in Lisboa you can go to ViniPortugal showroom and learn all about the several wine regions. Here's the site www.viniportugal.pt/index.php…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cartuxa Winery from Evora

Thank you 64novpt. I am aware of their visitor schedule, I feel we can book a 3pm tour that would allow us to get out of the afternoon heat. We also hope to visit the ViniPortugal office in Lisbon.

I see that CP is running trains to Evora again. About how far out of town is the train starion?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,748 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cartuxa Winery from Evora

The train station it's about 2km away from the centre, the last train is at 7pm, http://www.cp.pt/cp/searchTimetable.do

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cartuxa Winery from Evora

Try Have a Wine Day ( www.en.haveawineday.com ) they do day trips to several place with a winery visit, including one to Evora, and I think the winery was Cartuxa !

Edited: 9:13 am, June 08, 2012
5. Re: Cartuxa Winery from Evora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 21, 2013