We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
461 reviews
Save Topic
Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

I've been in "Albergaria do Calvario" 2 years ago and wrote my review here... the place is still #1 in TA - how comes?

Like some people have told: the bathrooms are dated and the sink miss a siphon which would pretend the bad smell.

I also think that 120EUR up are overpriced for Portugal (the Ibis is 35 EUR and usually hotels are around 55-75 with good value)

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

Hi ExpatinPortugal,

your user name doesn't sound like "owner" more like that you are sent by the investor who has invested in this property? Whatever, it doesn't matter... your answers a good!!

Thanks for not writing incognito like some other "owner" do here!

Portals like Tripadvisor, Zoover, booking etc. you are always on the top 10 in Evora - some people complain about value (too high prices), decent decor, smoking in courtyard (at least not anymore inside?) and some technical problems which seem to be fixed asap.

I understand your philosophy, I can confirm your excellent service mentality as you can see in my review.

I also see that you - yourself - do distinguish in your ratings of hotels you visited yourself - that is the point!!

TA isnot taking into account the seniortity of the member! Just scanning the last 5of5 reviews they are all members who have 3-10 reviews - how can they judge on a hotel if the are travelling once 1 in 10 years?

Look at the 4of5 (very good) or 3of5 (average) and you'll see that also Albergaria do Calvario isnot as TA wants to make you believe.

On the other hand the majority of TA members are from the US and - definetly - with service commitement and friendlyness Albergaria do Calvario treats its customers it's honoured by such guest with 5of5...

I just wish that chart would move a bit to keep the objectivity a bit?

Edited: 4:04 pm, February 17, 2012
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
929 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

I agree - it does seem to be an inappropriate name

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

I'm not in the hotel business but I suppose that IBIS etc. can offer rates below €40 in Portugal because

- the wages are low,

- services in PT are cheaper than rest of Europe

- chain hotels have cost efficent process to manage their expenses (frame contracts for laundry, food, leasing of property etc.)

Same applies for family restaurants in their own property compared to city center place who need to cover first high fixcost with their income.

24. Re: Albergaria do Calvario - why is this #1 in TA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, February 26, 2013