We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra or Evora or both?

stamford
5 posts
Save Topic
Sintra or Evora or both?

My wife and I are heading to Lisbon this weekend and we're trying to decide what to do in the 3 days we have before driving down to the Algarve. Our first day (Friday) we will be walking around Lisbon and getting settled (flying from the US). Our second day (Saturday) we also thought we would spend in the city of Lisbon and then Sunday we were going to drive to Evora as we left Lisbon and headed to the Algarve. But now we have had friends tell us that we should check out Sintra. So our question is how to we fit it in? Do we get up really early on Sunday and do Sintra in the morning and then Evora in the afternoon and then drive all the way to the Algarve at night? To us that seems like a long day so do we only do a day in Lisbon (Friday) and spend Saturday going out to Sintra and then leave sunday for Evora. OR do we go to Sintra on sunday and skip Evora and head down to the Algarve, to allow for two days in Lisbon. If people who have been to these places could give us your opinions/recommendations we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sintra or Evora or both?

I guess what you can do is look up the 2 places in internet (Evora and Sintra) and see which one appeals to you more. I would rather visit Sintra and then head to the Algarve but Evora is also a beautifull place, so it's really up to you. Both on the same day is a waste of time, you'll be running and won't see any of them. Evora has maybe less to visit than Sintra, so your first plan can be less tyring. My experience of traveling often to the US is that jetlag can be quite tricky, some times you don't even notice it, other times you take a coupe of days to get by. Sintra is smaller than Evora but going there is really to visit the parcs and palaces whereas going to Evora can be just for the general atmosphere, stop for lunch, stroll around, look up some churches. Of course you can also do that in Sintra, but at least a visit to one of the palaces is a must. Look it up in the internet and see which one you are more curious to visit. Algarve is only 2h30 hours drive, anyway. A drive to Evora would mean a one hour detour, I guess.

But I really think both on the same day is a bit too much.

warlingham ,surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sintra or Evora or both?

Evora is fabulous - stay in Casa S.Tiago for a timetravel trip & stay in suite for 80 euros - 18th century fresco on celing etc . or pay 150 euros for Pousada .

Food fantastic - go to Garden restaurant in front of roman forum .City wonderful -try horse drawn carriage trip . But also go to Mertola - 20 mins away & the Marble City 4 mins from there .

Suggest 2 nights at Evora max - enough to see town then move on .

warlingham ,surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sintra or Evora or both?

just back from Algarve & evora -did 900 kms in 10 days .

Evora well worth going to - 2 nights is perfectt to relax & enjoy it - go to Mertola too & a marble city on way to algarve . suggest you go down the La Guardiana River route via Alcoutim - very beautiful - you can go on ferry to spain there .

Then go down to Faro - yes this is very beautiful . Lovely walled town - very untouristy . get boat trip to remote Beach from harbour - really is fabulous & overlooked .

Also try Loule - a real algarvian town not toursisty again ; but a great place to wander round & shop / eat etc .

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sintra or Evora or both?

Don't be misled by the 'ferry to Spain' at Alcoutm.

It's a one Euro, ninety second trip in a little boat, often (literally) with one man and his dog, to San Lucar, which is just as beautiful as Alcoutim.

Somewhere to stay in Alcoutim can be an issue. There is a youth hostel just out of the village (Pousada de Juventude), the tourismo may be able to point you to private rooms.

There is also the Estalegem do Guadiana, a 31 bed hotel 10-15 minutes walk from the village centre, but, having stayed there a couple of weeks ago, I was very disappointed.

But we fell in love with Alcoutim.

5. Re: Sintra or Evora or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Evora
Recent Conversations