We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Alentejo itinerary?

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Alentejo itinerary?

Hi there,

A group of 4 of us are planning a driving holiday around the region of Alentejo. We will be spending a couple of days in Lisbon (and doing Sintra) and then heading out to this region.

After reading a couple of posts here, I am planning our itinerary as below:

Day 1: Lisbon to Evora then on to Monsaraz (via Requengos de Monsaraz) then onto Vila Viçosa, then Borba and then onto Estremoz where we are planning to spend the night.

Day 2: MARVAO, Castelo de Vide via PORTALEGRE and planning a night in Marinha Grande.

Just wondering if the above is doable and have I missed anything out that should be a must see in this region?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We're pretty laid back with this holiday. Just want to soak in the sights, culture and food.

Many thanks in Advance.

Alentejo
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

Hi there

If you have time to read this, you probably have not yet set off.

If you like the scenery, had you considered looking at it from the saddle of a cycle or even better, a horse???

There is no more satisfying experience that travelling a little more slowly and soaking up the sights of the hilly landscape of the Baixo Alentejo.

rdenby@gmail.com

ÉVORA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

I think that you are not running, you are flying.

Realy I think you want to see a lot in a few time, and of couse Baixo Alentejo, specially Beja, nera the castle, Serpa and Mértola deserves a visit.

May be next time, but with more time.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

I also think that it is too much and Day 1 sounds exahusting. I don't know the places on Day 2 so can't comment there.

You won't have time to soak up the sights though, you will be on the run all the time.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

Doable it is and also pointless. You can drive through all those cities in 2 days but you will see little if anything of them.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think this is an old post of mine as we have already got all the information we need and have booked our holiday. Many thanks though for your comments.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

Sorry, didn't look a the dates. Hope you have a great time.

7. Re: Possible Alentejo itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, November 01, 2009