We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alentejo holiday

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Alentejo holiday

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful holiday in the Alentejo region. We started from Lisbon and drove to see the sights of Evora. Evora is a wonderful walled medeival town with many interesting places to see. We then travelled to Borba which is a quaint little town famous for wine and marble. We stayed at a great inn called Casa do Terreiro do Poco. It was beautiful and the hosts were extremely helpful and gracious. From the inn, we were able to bike to Villa Vicosa which is quite a lovely town with a beautiful palace. We toured a winery and drove by countless marble quarries. The food in Borba was good and the wine was great. Both were extremely reasonable!!! After Borba, we headed to the coast to Zambujeira do Mar. The beaches are unbelievably gorgeous. We stayed at a very nice resort called Touril do Baixa. It was very pretty with friendly staff. You could walk to the beach from the inn. The atmosphere was extremely relaxing, a great getaway. We found all the people we met on this holiday to be very pleasant and accomodating to us. None of the places we visited were crowded (a huge plus for us) and all were very lovely. I would highly recommend touring this region to those who would love to see some of this beautiful country and avoid the crowded touritsty regions.

ourique
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Alentejo holiday

ihave lived in the outskirts of ourique alentejo region for three years i have been coming to portugal for the last20 years you can keep the algarve thats for the idiots the portugese people are frendly and helpful we only have oportugese neighbours you brits stay in england

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alentejo holiday

We are currently staying in a little farm cottage outside Castelo de Vide which is a place I would recommend visiting, as well as Marvao perched on a hilltop which we can see from our garden. It is jaw-droppingly beautiful here in the wildflower season and very quiet (just birdsong) and non-touristy. I don't know how you will manage without a car though as it is quite remote. Good luck anyway.

13. Re: Alentejo holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:55 am, November 05, 2009