We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Portugal

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
35 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling around Portugal

We will be in Portugal for 10 days in late September. And would love some advice about exploring the whole country. Is this just too ambitious? The north looks interesting as well as the central region. But we want to spend some time in Lisbon. Can we take in the beaches in the south also? Also is it best to have reservations beforehand? We were thinking of a day or so in each region. We would really love some tips. I have been studying the travel forum and many Portugal websites to gain some insight.

Thanks for any advice.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling around Portugal

How will you travel? By rental car or by public transportation? What are your interests?

Have you seen the www.visitportugal.com website? It has quite a few good itineraries. visitportugal.com/brochures/…Itineraries.html

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling around Portugal

"And would love some advice about exploring the whole country. Is this just too ambitious?" Yes, even by car. Unless you enjoy doing lots of Kms on highways.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling around Portugal

We travel to Portugal every second year. We have now seen practically the entire country. My guess would be 28 days is needed to see all of it. Then add 7 days for Lisbon and 7 or so for the south (Algarve). In 10 days, concentrate on Lisbon, and one other area. Either head south to Algarve or north towards Porto. You can drive south along the coast, and return to Lisbon up the centre; or do the same to Porto and back down the centre. I think the route along the eastern boundary with Spain is the least interesting route.

Edited: 6:42 pm, June 26, 2014
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,545 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling around Portugal

My recent trip report of Central & Northern Portugal will hopefully give you some ideas:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189100-i201-k75…

Happy planning!

5. Re: Traveling around Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:14 pm, June 27, 2014
Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling around Portugal

Hi there,

I think it's not necessarily a bad idea. All depends on your travel style. If you don't like to sit in one place but moving around - go for it...

We love to move making frequent stops, enjoining nature and small old towns...

So this year we came up with itinerary for 12 in Portugal. Will be moving counterclockwise from Lisbon to Porto.

Will post trip report soon ;-)

Happy planning!

P

7. Re: Traveling around Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 29, 2015