We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

I so appreciate all the help from DE on the forum so far. I have a few more questions about the train that I haven't figured out - my apologies if they have been addressed already and I've missed the answers.

1) What does Lugar de deficiente mean? I can get a literal translation, but I still don't know what it means. It is one of the preference options just before seat selection.

2) If I need to start at Coimbra Station, will my ticket from Coimbra-B get me on the train or will I need to buy another ticket? How much time should I allow to get from Coimbra Station to make my train to Porto that departs from Coimbra-B?

3) The 40% discount option does seem to be a real $ saver, but it says the tickets on non-refundable. If I miss my train or need to change my time of travel, does that mean buying a whole new ticket or just getting the ticket reissued and paying any fare difference?

4) Is a reservation required for the urban lines (i.e., Braga-Porto line) or can I just buy the ticket at the station that day?

5) I'm getting offers pretty regularly from CP now (i.e., window seat packages and Carristur bus package). Any suggestions about the merits/value of these packages? For example, the one for Coimbra lists several places that are "included" but they seem to be ones with free or very low admission charges anyway. (Side note: The newsletters and updates are in Portugese, but the upside is that it is helping familiarize me with the language even if I can't speak it).

Thanks for help and tips here and on previous postings.

Special Offer
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
751 reviews
from $90.90*
$113.70
Sintra and Cascais Tour from Lisbon
1,027 reviews
from $82.10*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
284 reviews
from $147.80*
$164.20
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

Two more:

On the train seat map there are some large rectangles drawn between seats that face each other, is that a table?

Other postings recommend the left side of the train for the best views traveling from Porto to Lisbon. But it looks like there are only single seats on the left side of the AP carriages. Am I misunderstanding the seating diagrams?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

1) "Lugar de deficiente" reserved for disabled/handicapped.

3) Terms and conditions here cp.pt/StaticFiles/…termosnetticket_en.pdf

4) No

6) Yes, AP (Alfa Pendular) has tables

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

Thanks so much 54novpt -- the online translating programs didn't get me anywhere close to that!

I did read through all the terms and conditions, but just wanted to double check my understanding. I thought reissue was possible, but I tend to double check on these things.

Which leads me to #4 -- No, meaning I can buy the ticket at the station because an advanced reservation isn't required?

Now I just need help with 2, 5 and 7.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

No reservation needed (or even possible in urban and regional trains).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

Thanks -- I could see the "buy" column on the CP site for the regional train, but couldn't access it and thought perhaps it was my old browser that was the problem.

One less travel arrangement to make before I leave.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,453 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

2. In theory you need a separate ticket for the 4 minute run from Coimbra to Coimbra B. That will cost €1.60.

Check the times at www.cp.pt although there are two or three trains each hour they do not necessarily leave at regular intervals. At Coimbra B the local trains usually arrives on the same platform from which the fast trains later leave. if not, it's a flat walk along the crossing over the tracks - no bridge or tunnel there.

5. Cannot help with that, sorry.

7. AP and IC trains have single seats down one side in First Class, in second Class (Turista) they are double seats on both sides. When you look at the seating diagram the direction of travel ( Sentido da Marcha ) is normally left to right, so the single seats will be on the left hand side of the train in the direction of travel southbound.

Edited: 3:52 am, June 05, 2014
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

Thanks cubsur -- that helps. It has taken me a while to get the hang of how the info on the CP website works, but I think I'm finally getting it. Since it is possible to check all timetables at once on the timetable page, I was getting thrown when I couldn't find the same info when I went to reserve the seats. Now I know some of that is because the reservation page is just for the AP and IC trains.

The seat selection process does seem pretty straight forward, although I wish I knew what the large areas with nothing showing (no seats, or outlines for tables, just white space represent - perhaps this is a place to stow carry-on baggage?)

I'm wondering what folks think about the relative merits of 1st vs. 2nd class. I've read lots of the earlier posts which indicated 2nd class is quite comfortable - but with the 40% advance sale discount, the difference in price between a 1st and 2nd class ticket is just a few Euros. I'm thinking for the longer trip (Porto to Lisboa) to go 1st class in order to have access to plug for my laptop.

Where does one put bags on the train? Overhead compartments above the seats? Or do they get "checked" somewhere?

8. Re: A few (OK maybe more than just a few) more Train Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 07, 2015