We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

portugal trails travel

white salmon...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
portugal trails travel

have you booked a trip with Portugal Trails? I am trying to find out about this travel agent and would appreciate any feedback for our trip in April.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: portugal trails travel

we also are looking at Portugal Trails for a trip in October but can't find anything about them on the internet besides their own website, which is gorgeous. Thanks for any input.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
146 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: portugal trails travel

We are going to Portugal in April and have booked a 9 day self-guided tour with Portugal Trails. Ines Letao, one of their agents, has responded promptly to all my questions. We are scheduled to have a rental car delivered to our hotel in Porto and she has developed an itinerary and booked us at some wonderful-looking hotels throughout Portugal. Payment was handled thru PayPal, who have no problem with this agency. The testimonials on their website are excellent.

Ciao,

Des

white salmon...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: portugal trails travel

Thanks for your info Des, could you post again after you return with any additional input you might have about Portugal Trails...my trip is not coming up until later this year. Thanks!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
146 reviews
67 helpful votes
4. Re: portugal trails travel

Will do.

Des

Elyria, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: portugal trails travel

We have booked a trip in May. The company was very responsive to all my questions. I also e-mailed the National Tourism Organization for Portugal and they gave a favorable opinion of Portugal trails.

Edited: 9:07 pm, March 29, 2011
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
146 reviews
67 helpful votes
6. Re: portugal trails travel

We have been in Portugal for a week now. The country is beautiful, the people lovely and the weather fantastic. No problem driving around. The drivers aren't nearly as aggressive as we'd been warned. The highway system between Porto and Lisbon is excellent [lots of tolls, though]. We had a problem with an outdated GPS [old maps] . When I talked to Ines from PortugalTrails Travel [she phoned us to see how things were going !] she went out and bought us a new GPS and delivered it to our hotel in Lisbon [way above and beyond]. So far our experiences with the hotels she booked for us and PortugalTrails itself have been outstanding.

Des

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
146 reviews
67 helpful votes
7. Re: portugal trails travel

After a 25 hour odyssey, we finally arrived back home at midnight last night. Our flight itinerary took us from Faro to Lisboa; then to Munich to pick up a trans-Atlantic flight to Montreal; then a final regional hop to Charlottetown, PEI. The joy of living in a small city and being dependent on regional transportation hubs like Montreal and Toronto. We were exhausted but delighted with our exploration of Portugal. It is a beautiful country, and the people are warm, friendly and very kind. I can honestly say that we never met anyone who was impatient, rude or dismissive. People went out of their way to be helpful. The weather was wonderful, as well. We enjoyed 14 days of sunshine and temperatures in the high 20s Celsius. Since early April is usually more rainy, especially in the north, this was an added bonus for our trip. We have hundreds [maybe thousands] of beautiful pictures.

Portugal Trails.Inc was extremely supportive. The material supplied was very useful and guided us through our 9 day exploration of Portugal. The rental car worked well and never caused any problems. Having Budget deliver the car to our hotel at the start of the trip and pick it up at the hotel in Faro was a luxury service we appreciated. Gasoline is about twice the price in Portugal that it is in Canada, but we still spent less than 150.00 Euros on fuel for the entire trip. Overall, the cost of living in Portugal [buying mostly where tourists buy] translates so that the Euro has equivalent buying power to the Canadian dollar, i.e. a Euro in Portugal buys what a dollar buys in Canada.

All of the hotels booked for us were excellent, and each was very different from the previous one. The most impressive hotels were the Pestana Palace in Lisboa, the Convento Do Espinhiero in Evora and the Pousada de Estoi in Faro. We were given a guided tour of the Convento in Evora by one of the excellent hotel staff. There is a lot of history in these old castles, monasteries and palaces. We saw very different things in the north [Porto, Nazare, Obidos, Encieira], Cascais, Lisboa, the Alentejo [Monsaraz and Evora], western Algarve [Sagres and Lagos] and the eastern Algarve [Faro, Estoi, Tavara].

Because we come from Newfoundland, which has strong historic ties with Portugal, whose fishing fleets have always fished the Grand Banks off Newfoundland on Canada's east coast, we took every opportunity to see if the people we met remembered this link. Unfortunately, most of them did not. Most of Portugal's salt cod, which is everywhere on restaurant menus, came from Newfoundland. How soon we forget !

Ines Leitao, from Portugal Trails, made our brief visit to Portugal a once-in-a-lifetime experience for both of us. Muito Obrigado !

Des

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
41 helpful votes
8. Re: portugal trails travel

Set up a lovely trip to Portugal through Portugal Trails Travel. They were very responsive to concerns and changes and provided us with a wonderful itinerary, hotels, and superb transfer service. We chose not to drive ourselves and were expertly taken care of throughout our 2 week trip with at least 10 transfers. Thank you Vanessa at Portugal Trails!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
361 reviews
173 helpful votes
9. Re: portugal trails travel

Our family of 5 had a wonderful trip to Portugal in August, completely facilitated by Portugal Trails. The agency booked our hotels, car rental, transfer from the airport and provided a GPS for driving as well as a printed itinerary for our stay. My opinion of the agency as a whole (Diana Ramos was our main agent but we interacted with other agents) was that they exceeded our expectations at every step. Their email communications with us before the trip were thorough and friendly. We arrived in Lisbon on an earlier flight than was scheduled (6 hours earlier) and I called the agency while we were in the immigration line. By the time we left baggage claim, the transfer car was there waiting for us. The agents called every few days to check in with us and make sure everything was running smoothly. I had a glitch with Budget rental (delivered a substandard car which I rejected), and upon calling the agency, had them troubleshoot with Budget and deliver another car to our hotel within the hour. Their itinerary, GPS, and maps were well marked and organized. And, perhaps, most important to us, was the care and concern that they took in giving us recommendations for dining for our family with a daughter with a gluten allergy.

I would recommend Portugal Trails for your "worry free" Portugal travel needs. I will be posting hotel reviews and restaurant reviews as well. Muito obrigada!

West Midlands
3 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: portugal trails travel

I am concernd re my booking with Portugaltrails. Due to fly to Portugal in 2 weeks time and Ines is not sending the final documents. Just hope now that they are genuine.