We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

With a lot of help from TA our Spain/Portugal itinerary for April/May next year has reached a 'final' draft and I would very much appreciate any comments before locking it in and starting to book flights, accommodation.

Day No.

1 Depart Adelaide for Barcelona

2 Arrive Barcelona

3 Barcelona

4 Barcelona

5 Late flight Barcelona to Seville

6 Seville

7 Seville

8 Day trip to Carmona

9 Early train Seville to Cadiz

10 Drive to Arcos, Grazalema

11 Drive to Zahara de la Sierra, Ronda

12 Drive to Marabella, Malaga

13 Drive to Nerja, Motril, Capileira

14 Drive to Granada

15 Granada

16 Drive to Ubeda, Baez

17 Drive to Zuheros

18 Drive to Cordoba

19 Early train Cordoba to Madrid

20 Day in Madrid

21 Day trip to Segovia or Toledo

22 Late flight Madrid to Porto

23 Porto

24 Porto

25 Train Porto to Lisbon

26 Lisbon

27 Day trip to Sintra

28 Depart Lisbon for Adelaide

Thanks in anticipation.

9 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
428 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

The Portugal part seems ok but you'll have little time in Lisbon and there's lots to see. I would take an ealy train from Porto to Lisbon so you can still have that afternoon to explore.

Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
504 posts
204 reviews
2. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

"Is this a reasonable itinerary?" That depends. It offers you no more than a taste of each of the two biggest cities in Portugal, plus a day trip to a tourist mecca. The closest analogy I can offer to you is this:

Suppose a European told you that he was thinking of visiting southeast Asia and Australia for four weeks. His itinerary ended with one day in Melbourne, two days in Sydney, and a day trip either to Canberra or to Hobart. How would you advise him?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
810 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

You will get better advice if you state your interests and goals for this trip. You certainly could do everything listed, but most of your time will be spent traveling from place to place, and checking into and out of hotels. My preference is to spend more time in a few places rather than a string of short visits.

Most travelers would find that a month in Spain alone would be just skimming the surface. I just spent two weeks in Lisbon and did not run out of interesting things to do.

The favorite experiences of most Portugal travelers tends to be either discovering unexpected delights while wandering the back streets, cultural encounters in small villages, or laying in the sun at an Algarve resort beach.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

Everyone is different in their goals for a trip. Personally, I don't think that you have given enough time to Portugal. Hubby and I love Portugal and getting off the beaten path that so many travel books recommend. While we so enjoy Lisbon and Porto, most of our favorite memories are that of staying in hill towns or smaller cities for two to three days and enjoying getting to know a place and doing some interesting days trips.

I think that this would hold true to what you have planned for Spain. While we have only been to Spain once and Portugal many time, I think that you have too much planned. On our Spain trip, we concentrate on Andalusia spending two or three nights in Jerez de la Frontera and Granada. We did spend one evening in at the Parador de Mazagon Huelva since I wanted to visit nearby Palos de la Frontera (Columbus left from here).

Do keep in mind that I am not a huge fan of really big cities and don't speak Spanish. I tailored this trip to my special interests being a life long horse person and the fact that I taught the Age of Discovery for twenty five years (retired teacher who wasn't retired then). Yes, we missed so many places that I would love to return to but it was a great trip for us. I am not that fond of finding and changing hotels. Then again, I know we can return to Spain without your long flight.

We have found Portugal perfect for us. About 40% of the people speak English and it is a much smaller country to deal with a fascinating and long history. We have found the Portuguese people very welcoming and the driving easier.

On a side note, we loved Adelaide where my husband taught a short course back in 2001. Spent about week in Adelaide and the area up to Clare Valley where our horsey friends lived. Drove the Great Ocean drive back to Melbourne (second trip) and spent about 5 days in Victoria before driving back to Sydney with about a total of almost three weeks. Hubby also taught in the Gold Coast on another three week trip that also included Melbourne and Sydney. What did I love about these two trips? We got time to spend without rushing about other than some long drives. Yes, we got to visit with people that have become life long friends. Just a thought or two.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

I agree with sms6778 - take the earliest reasonable train to Lisbon you can so you'll have most of the day there - you'll probably want/need more time there than in Porto.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
6. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. Our approach to the holiday is very much along the lines that Claudia followed so we will certainly re-think our ideas.

Cheers

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

In that case, take Portugal out of the itinerary and focus in Spain.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

We are off to Portugal and Spain in 2 months time, and I only have 22 days on the ground.

You have longer than I do, and you seem to be concentrating your time in Spain.

Although Portugal is close to Spain, it is not that easy to get there.

So either concentrate on one of the countries, or split your time evenly between the two.

The one nighters in Spain will not be that enjoyable. So maybe look at cutting out some time there. And Madrid could be cut too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
9. Re: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.

Thanks Millie2112. Based on feedback we will rethink our itinerary. As for Portugal not being easy to get to from Spain, We would fly from Madrid to Porto which is only a 70 min flight at a cost of $55 per person if you book far enough ahead,

Would love to get feedback on how your trip goes.

Cheers

Reply to: Is this a reasonable Itinerary please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted