We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal or Croatia

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal or Croatia

I plan to post this in both forums. We are in the early stages of planning a trip for myself, huband (49 and 56), and two daughters (19 and 21). We can travel either the last two weeks of June, or the last two weeks of July. It has come down to these two new locales (or Maui, where we've visited several times), and I wish I could fill out a questionnaire, and have some travel expert guide me to my perfect vacation. Short of that, I would appreciate any advice from travelers here who have been to both places.

Some basic info: I like beautiful places, scenic views with a leisurely cup of coffee on my balcony. Bellagio, to me, was simply stunning, and one of the loveliest places I've ever been. I would like part of the trip to be at a hotel on a beach, though not required for the entire trip. I'm open to moving locations once during our 10-day trip, maybe twice, and staying "in town." I like charm and uniqueness - like Taormina, Eze, Positano and Venice. I like to cap off our days at a nice restaurant, with a cocktail or glass of wine. I enjoy some shopping and culture - not one for long days at museums or galleries, but guided tours here and there are nice - half-day trips to historical sites, etc. I like a place that invites strolling after dinner. I like some degree of liveliness, but not excessive drinking and partying. I like 4-5 star hotels with pretty grounds and public areas.

Thank you.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal or Croatia

June and July are going to tourist time in both Portugal and Croatia. We have been to Croatia twice (once in July). We might return to Croatia again since we enjoyed it and have friends there. We have been to Italy twice and are return in March/April. We have been to Portugal five times (once in a July) and I am plotting our next trip.

Both Portugal and Croatia are beautiful locations but we love Portugal. Lisbon has become our favorite capital city in Europe and we have visited many since Hubby has been teaching in Europe since 1992. One of the great appeals of Portugal is it is so easy to get to especially from our home airport of Boston. I can easily and reasonably fly directly from Boston to Lisbon. Another reason we loved Portugal are the very friendly people that go out of their way to help you no matter where you are in Portugal. English is wildly spoken, prices are reasonable and there are an abundance of great restaurants and four or five star hotels.

We have found driving much easier in Portugal since there is a good network of toll roads and we have found public transportation MUCH better in Portugal if you don't want to drive. Driving in Croatia can be time consuming and I don't think they have any train connections. Driving in Croatia can be very slow in the summer. We stayed in Krk (where friends are) for a few days in a July and it took us almost 20 minutes to get back over the bridge to the mainland in bumper to bumper traffic when we left. They told us to expect this so it wasn't a surprise.

You have so many options in Portugal. Yes, you have the seaside and you don't have to go to the Algarve (Mediterranean) to enjoy lovely beaches. While Lisbon is riverside, you have numerous Atlantic seaside locations a short drive/train ride away but keep in mind no matter where you travel at this time of year, the tourist will be out and about.

Lisbon is definitely a city of strolling after dinner especially for multigenerational local families. It is just part of life in Lisbon. You have the chance to stay in several unique neighborhoods that all have their different charms and should I mention hills (another lovely old city with seven hills) with cobblestone streets that can be very dangerous for those that think flip flops are proper footwear. Lisbon has some totally outstanding hotels and restaurants as do other places that are only a train ride away.

Ask more questions and sorry I don't have a questionnaire you answer but rather I love Portugal and all it's uniqueness.

Edited: 8:03 pm, January 27, 2017
2. Re: Portugal or Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 29, 2018