We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Thinking of visiting Galveston Island but wonder how it compares to places like Destin or Orange Beach? We love the beautiful water and white sand beaches of Destin and OB...will we find the same in Galveston? Any pros and cons would be great to hear. Thanks!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

The water/sand will look horrible compared to those places. Our sand is brownish and so is the water.

Otherwise, there is a lot to offer. http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Galveston has a lot of hisorical sites, but as knr mentions, the water - not so good if you are expecting blue water and white sandy beaches.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

You asked and I'll give you my 2cents. I was raised in Houston and went to Galveston a lot. When I was 23 I went to Acapulco and was in shock at the beauty of the beach and beautiful blue water. In my 30's moved to Panama City and drove to Destin one weekend and drove over an area on the highway were I saw the most gorgeous emerald green water. I'll never forget it.

Now when I go to Galveston it is just to eat and shop. Water is very, very gray all year round from the runoff from the Mississippi River. No white beaches either. I vote for Destin or Orange Beach.

Go to You Tube and see some videos of Galveston if you want some visuals.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Have been to Galveston many times. Several Florida beaches and stayed twice in Gulf Shores, AL (close to Orange Beach). Galveston will totally disappoint you after seeing Alabama and Florida beaches. We loved Gulf Shores so much: soft, white sand, beautiful water, lot's to see and do. Haven't been there since the Deepwater Horizon explosion, but hear that the beaches "seem" back and beautiful. I vote for Alabama.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

As the others say, no comparison. On its best day, Galveston's beach cannot compare with Destin. If that white sandy beach and that beautiful water is your main goal, I'd say go elsewhere--can't comment on Orange Beach, never having been there.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Thank you to everyone who replied...looks like we will stick with Destin or Orange Beach! :)

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

I agree with everyone. Our beaches are nothing compared to the sugar white beaches in Destin. If we are lucky, our brownish water gets a "bluish" tint! Here's some webcams:

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Is there ANYPLACE on the gulf coast of Texas that is nice, has nice water and beaches, and has nightlife, maybe sort of Miami-ish?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

The closest you will come is South Padre Island...

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g56691-South_Padre_I…

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galveston Island, TX vs Destin, FL or Orange Beach, AL

Hi everyone!

I appreciate your comments but they are so disappointing! We are from NC

Our family always vacations in Treasure Island, FL (35 min from Tampa)--we love it! beautiful, clean, quiet, but with things to do.

Our oldest son now lives in Houston and will be having a new baby this summer--we were thinking of visiting them and staying in Galveston for our annual beach vacation---after reading these posts, I really don't want to stay. :( :(

Get answers to your questions about Galveston Island
More Galveston Island Topics