We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WW1 battlefields tours

Amersham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
WW1 battlefields tours

Four of us are visiting the WW1 battlefields around Ypres, and want to spend three nights there. We plan to get to Ypres by train and then book some organised tours in Ypres.

Can anyone tell me what's the best way to get from London to Ypres?

Also can anyone recommend a good tour company?

Elena

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

From London to Ypres, perhaps the easiest way is by train.

You can take the Eurostar from London to Brussels and then another train from Brussels to Ypres (Ieper).

You can also take the train from London to Lille (Europe), and then another train from Lille (Flandres) to Ypres. (changing at Kortrijk). This is often quicker than going via Brussels.

Flanders Battlefield Tours (ypres-fbt.com) and Salient Tours (www.salienttours.be) are two companies who run battlefield tours from Ypres.

It is also possible to use the local buses to visit some of the sites, such and Tyne Cot, Langemark and Messines Ridge.

Ieper
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

Hello,

To save lots of money which can be better spent enjoying self with nice meals etc and museum visits stay at le chat noir 22-26 euro per night ( no breakfast, it is a guest house ) however The Central Cafe on the corner does full English and you have the beautiful surroundings of the market square.

http://www.lechatnoir.be/

exceptional value with a standard to the rooms which is way beyond the price, check out the pictures! also in the very heart of Ieper.

Amersham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

Thanks very much for your info and tips

Elena

Amersham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

We'll probably go via Brussels so we can stop off for a short visit..

Thanks for the advice

Ieper
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

A short visit will not do it justice I warn you!

Leicester
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

I went to Ypres on an overnight train trip from Brussels which suited me. An hour and a half or so on the train was nice and relaxing and an easy way to travel, the train service was pretty efficient and the stations are easy to navigate.

I stayed at the Ambrosia Hotel which is perfectly located, maybe not the cheapest option but worh it IMHO and I shall be staying there again later this year. As I only had the one night in Ypres I just had time for an afternoon trip which was with overthetop tours and I thought very good. Andre the guide was very knowledgable and happy to take a couple of detours to see a couple of sites not on the itinerary for a member of our group. The Last Post Ceremony is an absolute must if you go to Ypres which probably means an overnight stay anyway, even though you could get back to Brussels the same evening its hardly worth it.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

I am booked in with Ambrosia fOr the night as part of a 3 day battlefields tour with Terres de Memoire so very excited

8. Re: WW1 battlefields tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)