We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

battle of ypres some help please

Which Ieper (Ypres) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
warwick england
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
battle of ypres some help please

I had planned to take my father to ypres in spring 2008 to see the name of his father ( my grandfather)on the menin gate,although my father was a regular and was with b.e.f in france /belgium in 1939/40 he had no idea where his father lay , sadly though he died suddenly a few weeks back aged 94.

My grandfather died on may 25 1915 with 2 bat northumberland fusiliers at mouse trap farm, does such a place still exist? is it possible to visit? could anyone recommend an itinery?places to stay?I would be so grateful for any help however small . thankyou.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: battle of ypres some help please

I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

There are a lot of articles on Mouse Trap Farm on the www but I don't find anything actual, and whether the site can be visited. I would advise you to send an email to the tourist office in Ieper (Ypres). Their email address is: toerisme@ieper.be

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: battle of ypres some help please

greatwar.co.uk/westfront/…cdnstandto.htm

Have you seen this

Almost all the names shown on the British maps of the northern Ypres Salient were given to places, woods and farms during the battles of April and May 1915. The British names were not yet on maps being used at the time of the Second Battle of Ypres. Farms, woods and other locations were referred to by the trench map square reference. In the orders for the battle of Gravenstafel Ridge, for example, orders and messages referred to the farm subsequently called Mouse Trap Farm as the farm in square "C.22.b.". On the Belgian maps being used for the basis of the British maps in early 1915 there were no names for the many farms in the area surrounding Ypres. Some were simply marked "Chateau".

Mouse Trap Farm was one of these farms originally marked as "Chateau" on the Belgian map. It was known to the locals as "Chateau du Nord". It was first called Shell Trap Farm by the British Army. Some units referred to it as Canadian Farm, because the 3rd Canadian Brigade had set up its headquarters there when it arrived in mid April 1915. The name Shell Trap did not seem very appropriate so the British V. Corps changed it to Mouse Trap. Another farm nearby became officially designated as Canadian Farm.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: battle of ypres some help please

Somebody thinks it still existed as late as 2000

http://www.grieves.dircon.co.uk/preludea.htm

warwick england
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: battle of ypres some help please

Hi Bengodog absolutely thrilled to bits with this imformation, this is the type of lead i was hoping for,i now have a starting point to begin my research. i cant thank you enough for taking the time out to post this reply very many thanks pete.

ypres
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: battle of ypres some help please

Mouse trap farm is still an existing farm although the original farm has been destroyed during the great war. Most farms were rebuilt but hardly ever on the exact same spot. If you wish to visit Mouse trap farm (you can see it easily from the N 38 road. If you get yourself Major and Mrs Holts battle map of the Ypres Salient (available in the tourist office of Ypres or Zonnebeke) you will find Mouse trap farm in the top left of square I.

Hope this helps

Best wishes,

charlotte

6. Re: battle of ypres some help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)