We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

hull
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

Travelled from Hull to Zeebrugge on Pride of York ferry(was the Norsea). It. is now very tatty in general. Sunlight lounge smells of stale sick. Decor is very shabby. I had an inside cabin. More like a box. Very hot and stuffy. If you go on the ferry I suggest you upgrade to a better cabin. But do so on board. Its so much cheaper. Also if you want to eat, book your meals once you are on board. Again cheaper.The actual ferry terminal is dated and scruffy. You have to board the ferry through the back of the ship. You enter through a single door which takes you into the Sunlight lounge. Once inside you are directed to your cabin. When you return to Hull you again disembark through the same single door. This process takes an eternity. If there was a fire then you have no chance of getting off in a hurry. When you arrive in zeebrugge you embark and disembark through the double central doors. These are what the doors are meant for and it is much quicker and more civilised. On board prices are very expensive. A pint of beer £2.90.I bought 3 sandwiches, 2 bags of crisps and a piece of cake £15.00. All in all a bad experience. however the Pride Of Zeebrugge although just as expensive is far cleaner and in better shape in general.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

I agree. I used to be a regular until 3 years ago, and I won't travel with them again. I was shocked at just how awful the food was. Like school dinners, I don't think anything was fresh or cooked on board. And as for the "coffee", I knew it was going downhill when you had to get Costa, but why can't they put some coffee in the hot water? The cabin was overheated so none f us got a good sleep which is pretty serious when one of our group had a 10 hour drive ahead of him. And that was after adjusting the settings. Never again, not ever. I noticed that there were no customer comment cards to be found. Don't want to know P&O? Btw, this was the Pride of York, we only travelled one way as we used the much superior (but sadly finishing)Rosyth ferry on theway down.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

Did the Bruges Mini cruise last October and again on Boxing day on the Pride of York £72 for two of us . We got onboard via escalators and a gantry then we were onboard on the Red Deck ,which has the Four Seasons Resteraunt , which to be fair is expensive if you only eat like a mouse , otherwise a good vast choice of salads ,carvery ,chinese , indian and a kiddies section , help yourself to as much as you like , water , tea etc included. Fine dining is avalable at a charge if you desire it (Langans).

Drinks up in the Clipper Bar, Blue Deck, is clean, or has been each go

we have been on . (there is no Sunlight Bar onboard ) To be fair the cabin we had was the same on each time we went onboard but did hear of people with faulty heating , ours was a good nights sleep both times . The terminal at Hull seemed to be average not a dump nor luxury, if you want shabby try Portmouth ! They are building a new one ! Overall you get what you pay for and its a Ferry and I can assure you, there are so called luxury liners that are not a patch on the Pride of York ,

foodwise,cabin size and as clean . Cunard do trips to Bruges but not for £72 for two . Were back on the ship this week , bring it on ! Value .

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

But then years ago they used to have good food onboard and you'd want to go back for seconds. I actually put in a complaint it was so bad. I watched a child put food back on the hot counter after wandering who knows where for how long with it on his try. No one of the staff standing round chatting made any attempt to stop him or to ensure no one else took it. The staff were dsinterested, the seafood (used to be a choice) was frozen prawns, the hot meals just had the look of supermarket ready meals. Fine if you just want to cram as much nosh for your money as you can but pretty awful if you remember the standards they used to have and I remeber the days when the meal was included in the fare. Dire, absolutely dire..

I paid over £350 for 3 people and a car one way. It wasn't one of the "mini cruises". Unfortunately there aren't many options if you live in Scotland and want to go to Bruges. Still not using that one again.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

Years ago It was North Sea Ferrys and you have got me there as I cannot compare as we never sailed with them . We are fussy eaters and yes some looks like any other pub food but out of the choice we think for familys there is a good choice and reasonable standard of food. We dont cram in as much as possible but it is there should you think thats what its for . I am glad you complained on your ship journey the standards should have been higher on that day . Going into the Four Seasons for a meal and all over the ship they have hand gels that we use all the time , how many do not ?

As for the kid you saw playing with food , that is down to the parents of the kid to look after him ,we have seen the same things happen in hotels all over the place , hence our first all inclusive holiday was our first and last and we ate out due to this . Would have been an idea to challenge the kid yourself , I did and it led to one red faced parent but they dont care do they .

A few weeks ago we were arriving back at Portsmouth and the ships tannoy system burst into life with , " would the parent of a little lost 3 year old contact reception !" Says it all really . Last time we left Bruges a ferry was on its way to Scotland not sure where it was heading for,it was a Norfolkline ship. Must aggree with you though ,£350 I would expect a meal as well and not in the Four Seasons but in Langans ,which is a lot better and as a rule , kids far and few between . We only live 50 Minutes away so for us we can eat at home if need be , when it comes to breakfast on board we never bother, just pop into a local Morrisons on the way home and eat at a fraction of the cost and maybe of same standards , As a Mini cruiser £70 yes but for the amount you paid I can see your point .

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

I agree with you about the breakfast it's a good point, we ate at a garden centre near York. However I need my coffee when I get up.

As for the kid, I agree there too, his dad was right behind him but they changed the set up. It used to be that you were served food from staff behind the counter, so there was no danger of anyone putting used food back on the hotplates with unused food. Now you just help yourself with staff standing around. There used to be a wine waiter/waitress, but ours just handed us the house wine and went back to cleaning tables. Even in the days of P&O I recall interested enthusiastic staff who enjoyed what they did, not they are just table clearing automatons. Something's chnaged there and I suspect it's to do with pay and conditions. I don't blame the staff as similar things are happening in a lot of companies but basic hygiene must be enforced.

The response to my complaint? A free meal on my ext crossing. Hmmmm. Still formulating my reponse to that.

Yorkshire Dales...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

Is it best to book mini cruise direct with P & O or has anyone tried any of the other online ferry companies and if so, were they any good?

Thanks.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

We have been sailing Hull/Zeebrugge/Rotterdam since the days of the Norland ( God bless her ! ) over the years we have seen a steady , and alarming , slide in standards aboard the ferries used on these routes.

The food is now on a par with a Transport cafe and being a Chef for many years i can see the use of more and more pre packaged/ cooked food items which only need reheating or steaming !

The Food was always something to look forward to on a trip but not any more !

We now do what a lot of passengers do , take a picnic lunch with us and keep breakfast till on land , a travel kettle ( with apprpriate travel adapter ) gives us tea/coffee when and as we want ! Costa Coffee ? Costa Bomb !

On a 2-4-1 deal its superb value and saves the drive down to Dover , 300 miles for us , 26 to Hull !

Our Top Tip / Go for the Upgrade on the Cabin , usually larger and more looked after .

One thing i will praise the P&O crews for is the way they treat Disabled Passengers , 5* all the way ! Well Done Guys & Gals !

england
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

How much is an upgrade,i'm like you did this trip every year for years but not been for the last five,well not from Hull.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

Upgrades seem to vary onboard , suppose its how many available/wanted !

Can be had for as little as £20 per cabin , ask at info desk onboard .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hull to zeebruge p&o ferry pride of hull

It is always cheaper to book all meals in advance, this applies equally to the ships to Zeebrugge and to Rotterdam. The ships to Zeebrugge are the "Pride of York" and the "Pride of Bruges", the Pride of York is registered as a British ship and has a mainly british crew, the Pride of Bruges is registered as a Dutch ship an is crewed with some Dutch and some people from what was the Dutch East Indies. I have to admit that the Pride of Bruges is the better run vessel. However the prices on board were reasonable at £2.90p for a pint compaired with £5.50 per pint in Amsterdam and slightly cheaper in Brugge. Both of these ships were built in 1987, so they are now a little long in the tooth. However both ships were given a multi million pound refit in or around 2007. I find these ships to be a better lay out inside than the bigger ships to Rotterdam. I think that the value of the food in the Four seasons restaurant is as good as any restaurant that I have been in, and I have been in some of the best in London. As for upgrading the cabin, that is a waste of time and money as most cabins are similar except for some with windows, but it is dark and nothing is visible. There are a few club class suites but they are not available to minicruise passengers.

Get answers to your questions about Ostend