We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base of operation

United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Base of operation

We'll be spending about 6 or 7 nights in Belgium and would like to base ourselves in one city and take day trips. We were thinking of either Bruges or Brussels. Which would you recommend?

Thanks, all! :)

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base of operation

Hi Mellow,

I guess it all depends upon your preferences as to the type of place you would like to stay and also the places you would like to visit whilst in Belgium.

As for a comparison on either city, both cities will have plenty of tourists/people around during the day. For me Brussels has more of a city "feel" than Bruges which given it's the capital city you would expect. Bruges feels more relaxed IMHO. All subjective of course. Personally, I've stayed in Brussels a couple of times but I prefer to stay in Bruges. Especially in the evenings which are much quieter once the daytime tourists have departed.

The train network in Belgium is excellent so transport links to other cities is not really a problem from either destination. As I say, really depends on what you want to visit.

Hope this helps

Rob

United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base of operation

Rob,

You have helped. I think we're now leaning towards Bruges and traveling from there. I think that will be more relaxing than spending 2 nights here and 1 night there and.... When we were in Italy, we stayed in Anguillara Sabazia and took the train to Rome and other villages in the area. It was great fun.

I appreciate your input so much.

3. Re: Base of operation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 14, 2015