We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

Hi,

My wife and I will be heading to Bruges and Paris in June. We have yet to visit either location. Right now I have us staying 3 nights in Bruges, and 4 in Paris. However, given that Paris has so much to see, I am wondering if 3 nights in Bruges is too much, and I should do 2 in Bruges and 5 in Paris. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

I would definitely want more time in Paris and less in Brugge.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

So do you think 2 nights are enough to get a good feel of Brugge? We fly into Brussels at 9:25 a.m. and will take the train to Brugge after that. We are coming from New York City, so we may be a little jet lagged, but we should have at least half a day in Brugge to sightsee on the arrival date. So two nights will really leave us with one full day and one half day to see Bruge. If that's enough, I will cancel one night in Brugge and add it to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

It's enough.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

Ok, I've been reading about Brugge today, is it true that most things are closed on Monday? Because if we do 2 nights, the only full day we will have in Brugge will be on Monday. Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

Everywhere in Europe, the normal museum closing day is Monday, so this is also an issue in Paris - although as that city is obviously a lot bigger than Brugge (+/- 100 times, by population), it has more exceptions, e.g. the Louvre closes on Tuesdays.

That said, in Brugge the belfry and stadhuis (town hall) in Burg are open 7/7 and canal boats running, so all depends on whether or not you want to visit any museums. If so, you can perfectly well visit e.g. the Groeninge on Sunday and do other things on Monday. In any case, Brugge is a "sight" in itself, the best way to enjoy it is just to walk around and there is no need to visit every (or even ANY) monument, church and museum.

Edited: 6:18 pm, March 15, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
6. Re: How long to stay in Bruges? 2 or 3 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:50 am, March 17, 2015