We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges v Brussels v Amsterdam?

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges v Brussels v Amsterdam?

My husband and I (early 30s, no kids) are arriving in Germany 5/21 and heading straight to Belguim. We only have 2 full days before we head off to London (and Dublin, and Paris) to meet up with friends on 5/23. I've heard from friends that we HAVE to go to Bruges... what do you think? Bruge? Amsterdam? Brussels? We're not party animals, but like wine, beer, food, museum, pretty things, old buildings with cool stories, active things (bicyles, hikes)...

We've been through Italy (Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre and Rome) and loved it- and this our first venture since then.

Advice is appreciated!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges v Brussels v Amsterdam?

If you are arriving from Germany - I presume, Frankfurt Airport - on a Wednesday, and meeting friends in London - I presume, taking Eurostar from Brussels - the following Friday, then it seems to me you only have the Thursday (and maybe Friday morning) to do anything.

On those grounds alone, I would suggest visiting either the city you will be travelling to London from, i.e. Brussels, or the smallest of the 3 cities, which is Brugge - 1 hour by train from Brussels and about 5 hours from Frankfurt Hbf. You don't have time for Amsterdam, in my opinion, but of course it's up to you to decide if you really want to make a flying visit instead of visiting Belgium. And all 3 cities - like just about every city I know - have everything you mention, with the possible exception of "hikes".

It should not be hard to work out which Belgian city most appeals to your particular tastes, using the information you can find on TA, e.g. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188671-Activiti… - tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188644-Activiti…

Do not see the relevance of the stuff about where you have been in the past and where you would be going afterwards, as none of it relates to Belgium (or Amsterdam).

Edited: 12:43 pm, December 24, 2013
2. Re: Bruges v Brussels v Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 26, 2014