We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges in January

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Bruges in January

We are thinking of taking a short break, 3 nights in Bruges, in mid-January, but have been told that some of the "essential" tourist sights will be closed. Also, will there be boat trips available? Many thanks for any info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Bruges in January

I'm doing the same and booked before I knew this! Some of the smaller museums such as the Frites and chocolate museum (apologies, not quite the right names I think) are closed around then. The brewery tour is closed. Some restaurants (notably Kardinaalshof) are taking their annual winter break. No boat tours running until around March now.

If you were to go in the first week of Jan all the above would be open, or leave it until the last week. The middle two seem worst for closures.

I'd have changed my dates if I'd done a little more research first. Having said that, I'll still get to see everything I really wanted to with the exception of the brewery. Looking forward to it!

Edited: 8:17 am, October 31, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Bruges in January

I'm doing the same and booked before I knew this! Some of the smaller museums such as the Frites and chocolate museum (apologies, not quite the right names I think) are closed around then. The brewery tour is closed. Some restaurants (notably Kardinaalshof) are taking their annual winter break. No boat tours running until around March now.

If you were to go in the first week of Jan all the above excepting boats would be open, or leave it until the last week. The middle two seem worst for closures.

Edited: 8:19 am, October 31, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,320 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Bruges in January

"If you were to go in the first week of Jan all the above would be open" - this refers to the private museums: it's not the size that is relevant, but the fact that they are privately operated (like shops), and all 4 - Friet Museum, Choco Story, Diamond Museum and Lamp Museum - are run by the same company. That's why they all take a holiday at the same time, which happens to be in the 2nd and 3rd weeks in Jan. These are not in my opinion ESSENTIAL tourist sights by any stretch of the imagination!

All 16 State/municipal museums/monuments, on the other hand, are open, except on 1 January (and, for some of them, on Mondays, as at any other time of year): see …brugge.be/practical-information

The belfry (Belfort), Stadhuis, O.L.V.-Kerk and Brugse Vrije are open 7/7, as is Historium, so I don't really see any problem with going mid-January.

London, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Bruges in January

So essentially it depends on what you WANT to see, OP. The brewery tour was something I was particularly looking forward to. I'll just have to come back!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,320 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Bruges in January

If you are talking about De Halve Maan, its website gives times for brewery visits between November and March and doesn't mention being "closed" mid-January: http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=5&L=2 (although the issue may be a different one altogether, which is that at any time of year, INDIVIDUALS can only book a tour for MON-FRI). It is only closed (in January) on 1 January according to www.welkom-brugge.be/AttractieDetail.aspx… - but you can e-mail them from the website if you want to check directly with them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Bruges in January

Good to read the above, I have booked mid January also and didn't think to check what would be open. I've been to Bruges for a weekend before, so happy to just take my luck on what's open but good to know some of the attractions will be. Very helpful thank you.

7. Re: Bruges in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 18, 2014