We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

Hi All,

My partner and I would like to do a weekend trip to Bruges and Brussels at the end of November or start of December to see the Christmas markets and both cities in one hit.

We are planning on taking the Friday off work and taking the Euro Tunnel to Calais early that morning where we can then drive from their to either Bruges or Brussels. We would return back to the UK Sunday night.

I have a few questions I hoping someone can help me with so here goes:

- Would you recommend going to Brussels first and then Bruges on the way back? Or Bruges first and then onto Brussels?

- How long do you need in each location to really enjoy them?

- What are the must see things to do in each location?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

1. It makes no practical difference, except that you can purchase a Eurostar "ABS" (Any Belgian Station) ticket if you stay no longer than 1 night in Brussels on the way to and/or from Brugge, which costs something like €8 instead of €13.80 each way, standard single. This is a through-ticket covering London-Brussels-Brugge (or other destination in Belgium) in one direction and Brugge (or other starting point)-Brussels-London in the other direction.

That said, a WEEKEND RETURN Brussels-Brugge-Brussels only costs €14.80 anyway and permits departure from Brussels at any time after 19h on Friday and return no later than the last train on Sunday night (which from Brugge to Brussels is at 23:05).

2. There can't be any specific length of time, it depends entirely on what you want to do in each place. Some people apparently enjoy a visit of several hours and others, several days. And some people will never enjoy certain places at all, no matter how long or short a time they spend there.

3. In my opinion there are no must-sees, only personal preferences - for example, as I like oriental art, any oriental art museum (Brussels has one) is a must-see for me, but it wouldn't be for everyone. You can see what other TA members have rated highly (or not) from the "Things to Do" section for each city, that is tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188644-Activiti… and tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188671-Activiti…

Level Contributor
314 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

A canal trip, whatever the weather is very informative and a good way to see the town from a different perspective. Moules/frites is a must or the fish soup on the square!

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

I think that 2-3 days are enough to enjoy brugge and another 2 days for brussels. If you have only 3 days free, then maybe you should stay in one of them and go to the other just for one day trip. I would prefer to stay in Bruge (which is really a wonderful town) than in Brussels, but I suppose this is personal.

When in Brugge visit the Groeninge museum if you like art, the begijnhof, the church of Holy Blood and the belfort tower to see the panorama. There is also a chocolate museum if you like that stuff. I think you cant do the canal trip in november (the boats stop from november to march) but they have several other attractions for winder.

In Brussels have a nice walk in the city centre, around place central, visit the cathedral Saint Michel and Saint Goudoule, the Atomium and the Mini Europe.

Eat a lot of chocolates, taste different beers!

Have a nice time!

Level Contributor
2 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

We have booked long weekend in Brugge via Brussels is it advisable to pre book the tickets for our continuing during, there is 12 of us so some organising is essential? And how much

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

I take it that "Brugge via Brussels" means you will have Eurostar ABS tickets, that is, "through-tickets" from London to Brugge. If so, you will have seat reservations for the London-Brussels leg, on Eurostar, but are free to take any train from Brussels to Brugge on that date or even the following day. You don't have reservations for the domestic train trip, and you can't make reservations, either!

Only groups of 15+ (this is intended for e.g. school groups) can make reservations on domestic trains, but as far as I know, this is linked with paying a group rate for the train (in fact, you buy a group ticket): and in your case, if you have Eurostar ABS tickets, the transport itself is already paid for (at the ABS rate, which is something like €8 instead of the €13.80 standard single price for Brussels-Brugge).

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

Going back to the OP who mentions driving from Calais to either Bruges or Brussels, I would suggest driving to Bruges, making Bruges my base and then visiting Brussels for a day using the train. The prices for the trains are in qaminari's post #1, takes about an hour from Bruges to Brussels.

How long to spend in each place depends upon your personal wants. e.g. I've been to Brussels a few times and can't honestly say I am planning a return any time soon. For me, with the odd exception, Brussels is all about the Grand Place (which is beautiful) and a couple of bars I really like (sorry to all the Brussels lovers reading this!). Because it's a major city, I don't find it relaxing in any way and generally I like to use breaks to relax.

However, I have been to Bruges many, many times now and currently have at least my next two trips already planned! We've spent our whole breaks (usually 3 or 4 nights) and not moved from Bruges before now but we're happy just wandering around looking at the buildings, the odd shop thrown in and then more than the odd café, chocolate shop and our selection of restaurant for the evening! If you want more than that, there's horse carriage rides, city bus tours, walking tours, museums, churches, art, I could go on and on, take a look at some of the links top right in the FAQ section, I am sure you will find something of interest.

Must see things, like qaminari says is a personal thing. I guess though for Brussels, the must see is the Grand Place and for Bruges it's the Mark't and Burg.... Like qaminari says though, this is only if you are interested in seeing the buildings!

7. Re: Bruges and Brussels Weekend Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 27, 2014
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor