We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charelroi airport to Bruges

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Topic
Charelroi airport to Bruges

I'm flying into Charelroi airport and then making my way to Bruges via Brussels.

I arrive 19 September and my plan is to get to Bruges early evening and then make my way back to Brussels around 9pm the same day, then the following day from Brussels to Charelroi airport.

I've had a look at the faq for this route and been on the website for the shuttle bus. www.voyages-lelan.be.

On the drop down menu to purchase tickets I found a ticket Charelroi-Midi Station-Maastrich Airport. Would this be the correct ticket to buy as I thought the bus went to Brussels South?

Also if I bought this online would I be paying the full fare to Maastrich? Maybe i'm doing something wrong here!

Regarding the tickets for bus and train is there a difference in price if I buy online or on the day at the station. Also is there not a combined bus/train ticket I can get? Taking into account I will be travelling back to Charelroi the following day (20th)

Also does anyone know how far the Jan Breydel Stadium is from the centre of Bruges?

Thanks in advance...

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Jan Breydel Stadium
Jan Breydel Stadium
36 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charelroi airport to Bruges

1) The CRL shuttle bus has been given its own website, separate from the (other) Voyages L'Elan services, see

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188644-i205-k6771… - you are ARRIVING at Charleroi Airport (aka "Brussels South") and the shuttle goes to Bruxelles-Midi, where you would have to take a train to Brugge. You do NOT want to go to Maastricht, in the Netherlands!

2) For the shuttle it makes a difference if you buy tickets online or not : €3 extra for purchase from machines/kiosk at CRL, or from the bus driver at Bruxelles-Midi, when returning to the airport.

For the TEC bus plus train, it makes no difference whether you buy online in advance from www.belgianrail.be (entering as departure "station" Charleroi South Airport) or from machines at CRL. However it would make a difference if you waited until you got to Charleroi-Sud station as you could no longer buy the combined ticket, having already taken TEC bus A to get to the station...! If you did this, you would pay €5 for the bus plus €20.60 for the train, total €25.60.

The combi ticket CRL-Brugge, covering TEC bus A from CRL to Charleroi-Sud station AND train from there to Brugge, costs €20.10. The ticket machines, which take credit cards, are next to the TEC bus stop, outside Exit 2 on the departures side of the airport. You can also buy from https:/… - and on the way back, you can buy a combi ticket for the same price from the relevant station (which in your case will be Brussels, not Brugge, because tickets are only valid for one day).

3) If you are travelling from Brugge to Brussels on the Thursday and Brussels to CRL on the Friday, you can't buy a combi ticket from Brugge to CRL. You'll have to buy a train ticket from Brugge to Brussels (€13.80) on 19/9 then if you choose to travel from Brussels by train + TEC bus, you can buy a combi ticket from Brussels to CRL on 20/9 for €14.20. Or you can go by shuttle from Bruxelles-Midi for maximum €14 if you buy your ticket online (€17 from the bus driver).

4) Google does. This webpage says to take bus 25 from Brugge station to the stop Vogelzang: clubbrugge.be/nl/…bereikbaarheid - here's the public transport map: delijn.be/images/stadsnet_brugge_tcm7-3174.p…

Edited: 7:40 am, August 31, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charelroi airport to Bruges

That's brilliant. Thank's very much.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charelroi airport to Bruges

Incidentally when you get to Brugge, to catch the 25 bus (direction St. Andries - St. Willibrordus) go to stand ("perron") 1 outside the station: delijn.be/images/station_brugge_tcm7-6951.pdf

Here is the bus timetable …delijn.be/dienstregelingen/Kalender2011/Wvl… (in case that doesn't work, downloaded from http://reisinfo.delijn.be/dienstregelingen/DienstregelingenHome.faces). Basically buses leave the station at 10, 30 and 50 mins past the hour and take 11 mins to (SINT-MICHIELS) VOGELZANG. The timetable doesn't list all intermediate stops but Vogelzang seems to be 9 stops from the station, the one before it is called Grasdreef. Curiously, there is also a stop called Jan Breydel, which is 3 stops further on from Vogelzang! But presumably the Club page knows what it is about.. I noticed it gives different directions to Club members (bus 1 or 5 to the stop St. Andries) and visitors, which I assume are linked to use of different entrances, but you could ask for more specific information locally, e.g. at the De Lijn office outside Brugge station.

The bus ticket costs €1.30 (you'll be travelling only 1 zone) purchased from a ticket machine or the De Lijn office, or €2 if you buy it from the bus driver. If you would be using other buses in Brugge, you would find it easier to buy a day pass from the machine for €5. You have to put it in a yellow machine on board the bus, as illustrated here: delijn.be/vervoerbewijzen/…prijs

Mentioned in this post
Sint-Michiels
Sint-Michiels
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Charelroi airport to Bruges

Thank's again. Top stuff...

5. Re: Charelroi airport to Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 02, 2014