We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

Hi there,

I'm a little confused about the Any Stations ticket on the Eurostar website. I've searched the forum and I understand you can travel to other Belgium towns on certain trains within 24 hours of arriving/departing.

The confusion is that I'm wondering if it is possible to make a return journey back to Brussels within the 24 hour limit? For example I am staying in Brussels, but when I arrive at the Brussels Midi station I would like to visit Bruges for a few hours and then return back to Brussels.

Is this possible using the Any Stations ticket, or is it only possible to just visit Bruges without being able to return?

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks,

Adam.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

You can use your 'Any Belgian Station' ticket to travel TO Bruges, but not back the same day*. You would need to buy a single ticket for the journey back.

* Unless, of course, your return journey to Brussels would start within 24 hours of your Eurostar departure back to the UK!

Edited: 10:11 am, August 03, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

If you purchase a London-Brussels-ABS ticket, you have a ticket from London to a single Belgian destination, other than Brussels (e.g. Brugge), with a break of up to 24 hrs in Brussels, i.e. it is a ticket for London-Brugge VIA Brussels.

If you have an ABS-Brussels-London ticket, you have a ticket to London from a single starting point, other than Brussels (e.g. Brugge), with a break of up to 24 hrs in Brussels, i.e. it is a ticket for Brugge-London VIA Brussels.

In both cases, this is not "on certain trains", but on ANY domestic train on the route in question (e.g. Brussels-Brugge). And 24 hrs is the length of time you could spend in Brussels between trains, not a period of time during which you can travel around Belgium (although it's not strictly 24 hrs: coming FROM London, ABS option means you can continue your journey to Brugge on the day of Eurostar arrival in Brussels or the following day; and travelling TO London, it means you can start your journey in Brugge on the date of your Eurostar departure from Brussels, or the previous day).

Naturally enough, if you travel somewhere else within Belgium after reaching Brussels and your ABS destination, or if you break your journey in Brussels for longer than 1 night, you have to pay for a ticket between the local stations concerned. That would include coming back to Brussels from Brugge, if this trip is not covered by some other ticket e.g. Eurostar ABS if returning to London, or Thalys ABS if continuing to Paris/Amsterdam/Cologne.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

That makes sense, thank you! I will just travel on to Bruges and get a separate return ticket in the evening.

Thanks again.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

In any case, if this would be on a weekday in August, you can get a "summer deal" ticket for €7.50 instead of the standard single Brugge-Brussels costing €13.80: and €7.50 is identical to ABS fee anyway, e.g. when London-Brussels fare is €48.50, London-Brugge/ABS costs €56.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

It depends how long you are staying in Brussels for.

The return ticket from any Belgian station to Brussels can be used for one single journey in the 24 hour period preceding you departure from Brussels to London.

So for example, lets say that you arrive in Brussels at 12 noon on Friday to stay for the weekend, and intend to take the 3pm train back to London on Sunday.

You could use your Any Belgian Station ticket to make a day return trip to anywhere in Belgium provided that the outward train leaves Brussels before 12 noon on Saturday. You could come back from your day trip provided that the return train departs after 3pm on Saturday.

If your trip falls outside of these criteria you would have to purchase a separate ticket.

6. Re: Belgium Any Stations (Eurostar)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 06, 2014