We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
1 post
Save Topic
alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

Myself and my partner are staying at the Hotel Navarra Bruges in 2 weeks time, what is the price of alcohol, food and tobbacco in the city centre and where is the best place to go for the cheapest prices.

Thanks

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

Hi,

Best prices for alcohol and food are generally away from the main tourist area around Mark't. As a general rule of thumb, you don't have to walk far off the square to see a decrease in prices and an increase in quality.

Here's the menu from Cambrinus, a reasonably priced bar to give you some idea of food prices. http://www.cambrinus.eu/biercuisine.htm expect to pay €3.50+ for a beer depending on what you order.

I am not a smoker but I understand tobacco is a standard price in Belgium. Take a look here http://www.brugestobacco.com/ for some idea of the prices.

Regards,

Rob

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

On the tobacco side don't forget you can pay in £ sterling which usually works out cheaper than changing £ into € , Bruge Tobacco has 2 shops in Brugge , both well stocked !

Enjoy !

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

I do not agree with the previous post.

If you pay using £ it will all depend on the exchange rate the shop use in the conversion. This is NEVER at a financial disadvantage to themselves. The shop will 'load' the rate to their advantage. In pretty much the same way any exchange bureau would but usually more so because someone from the shop would then have to go to a bureau or bank and exchange the money using their exchange rate. If it wasn't loaded they'd lose out big time. My rule of thumb is never EVER get a shop to exchange for you, always use the local currency.

The absolute best way to spend money abroad is using a 0% weighted credit card which gives a 'true' exchange rate at the time of purchase and no fees.

Check out this for useful information. It can save £100's+ moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Cheers

Rob

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

We have used Bruge Tobacco shops for over 6 years and must disagree with the comments above about " Loading " the Rate for £ sterling payments at the shop , indeed they prefer sterling as a payment ! using bank notes ,

If you take a look at the web site they have and do a Forex check with the sterling price into Euros it is always close to the " Business Banking " rate rather than the Tourist rate :) the prices at the shops remain very stable and the last rise was only due to the Belgian excise rate increase !

So you can buy with confidence :)

ps: we are aware of the Loading practise used by some shops usually involving Credit or Debit card transactions , if using either of these methods then ALWAYS pay in the local currency only !

5. Re: alcohol,food and tobbacco prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2014