We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bruges from Lille

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bruges from Lille

I have purchased a Eurail Global Pass and need to reserve two train tickets from Lille to Bruges in July. It doesn't matter what destination I punch into the Rail Europe site, I get the message 'schedules were not found'. We're happy to travel via smaller rural towns or even Brussels if need be. Can someone please advise whether it is just a matter of rocking up to the station at Lille on the day? I was hoping to have all tickets in hand before I start my France/Belgium trip but need reassurance that we can get to Bruges from Lille on the day we require (it's a Monday by the way). Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

There are a few direct trains from Lille to Bruges each day, via Kortrijk (Courtrai)

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Nord_Pas_De_Calais/Trid…

Where there is no through train, you can take the first train from Lille to Kortrijk (Courtrai) and change for a connecting train to Bruges.

The timetable above only shows trains to and from France.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

Thanks heaps. Is it necessary to pre-book? Which station in Lille does this train leave from?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

It is not necessary to pre-book.

This train leaves from Lille Flandres.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

Merci Paul

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

Rail Europe is a ticketing agency, selling tickets on SNCF etc. trains in Australia, the U.S., UK etc. It wants to sell you the most expensive tickets on the most expensive trains (not covered by a Eurail pass!), so it might see no need to include "normal", non high-speed trains between Lille and Brugge (although it is also possible that you entered the wrong station in Lille, as some high-speed trains use Lille-Europe, while normal trains always depart from Lille-Flandres). Rail Europe isn't a train operator, and if you thought from the name that it would be the best source of Europe-wide train timetables, it isn't (the best source in my opinion is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en).

However, I don't quite understand why you would be buying tickets at all if you have a global Eurail pass covering this particular "travel day". If you were trying to make reservations, you can't reserve seats on local trains between Lille [, Kortrijk] and Brugge. But if this is what you were trying to do, why would you be trying to do it on the Rail Europe rather than the Eurail site (as it instructs passholders to do: http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/train-reservations/how-make-seat-reservations)?

In any case, if French TGV trains are covered by the Eurail global pass, except for seat reservations (eurail.com/trains-europe/…tgv), and if this is the way you wanted to go, (rather than taking non-high-speed trains departing Lille-Flandres, which are entirely covered by your pass!) then taking the TGV (not Eurostar) from Lille-Europe to Brussels would cost €9 for seat reservation; then twice-hourly IC train from there to Brugge involves no charge on top of your pass.

If you aren't using your pass for this trip, then if you really want to purchase tickets in advance (which would cost you €18.40 on non-high-speed trains, €35.30 by TGV - including seat reservation - to Bxl plus IC from there: there is no price advantage compared with buying in Lille), you can do so from Belgian Railways, www.b-europe.com/Travel - be aware that when selecting a specific departure, this will be fixed if TGV, but not for other trains, where the ticket will cover any IC etc. train on that route on that date.

Edited: 8:06 am, June 10, 2013
6. Re: Getting to Bruges from Lille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 12, 2014