We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Cologne to Bruges: An Odyssey

Swindon, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Cologne to Bruges: An Odyssey

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice and I am sorry if this comes across as a bit stupid.

I am travelling to Cologne from the UK in May to see a band called the Knife perform. As part of the trip we thought we would pop over the Bruges for a bit of sightseeing. I have a few questions and hoped that someone would take pity on me and help me out : )

Is it possible to travel by train easily between Cologne and Bruges? Is there a direct option? How long does it take? Roughly how much would it cost? Is there a website in English that will allow me to pre purchase a ticket?

Thanks for reading to the end : )

Cheers,

G x

Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from...
1,963 reviews
from $57.30*
Bruges Day Trip from Amsterdam
944 reviews
from $118.40*
Special Offer
Bruges Day Tour from Paris
619 reviews
from $185.00*
$205.60
Brussels Super Saver: Brussels...
102 reviews
from $133.30*
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Cologne to Bruges: An Odyssey

The fastest you can do it is 3h18 in total, taking either Thalys or ICE (both high-speed trains) from Köln Hbf to Bruxelles-Midi then normal IC train to Brugge (1 hr) - there are no direct trains between Cologne and Brugge, you will always have to change at least once, in Brussels.

Price for Thalys varies according to how long in advance you purchase your ticket and which departure (and level of flexibility) you go for, but about €60 one way,

By NON-high-speed trains (RE, IR, IC..) it takes 4h46 changing in Aachen and Liège, cost is around €45 one way (invariable).

You can get timetables and prices, and purchase tickets, from German Railways http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en or Belgian Railways, www.b-europe.com/Travel - both in English.

Edited: 5:44 pm, February 19, 2013
2. Re: From Cologne to Bruges: An Odyssey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 21, 2014