We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

The Snow and Ice Festival is on again this year and is worth a visit if you are in Bruges when it is on.

From their website...

The Snow and Ice Sculpture Festival is open every day from the 23rd of November 2012 until the 6th of January 2013, every day from 10 AM to 7 PM, including Christmas and New Years’ day.

The theme ’Ice Magic’ is inspired by the stories of Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

http://www.ijssculptuur.be/index.asp?taal=en

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Sounds fab - thanks for that. We're spending 4 nights in Bruges ovre Christmas so I'll put this on the list of must do's!

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

I was just feelink like a little winter trip. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

@JoMark

As you'll be coming around X-mas it means you'll be coming IN the X-mas school break. Last year the queues were so ridiculous I just had to laugh out loud while walking on Stationsplein to work. It was crazy and mentioned in a local newspaper. I remember sharing the article on Facebook and ridiculing the writers for saying "30 minute queue" while it was much much longer.

So, a little piece of advice to make your visit more comfortable: don't plan your visit in the middle of the day. Come early, be there 15 minutes before it opens in the morning, or wait till 18h00 and visit just before it closes. One hour should suffice. I usually go on a weekday, in the evening, and I've never had any trouble with queues. ;)

Edited: 3:08 pm, October 25, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Thanks for your post @NWKent! Wouldn't have known this will be on when we visit 23Nov weekend.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

@E-traveller

Also visit Historium, it's a new tourist attraction in Bruges, very unique concept, which will open on 25 November. Check out their website www.historium.be

London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Thanks Sabrina. Will do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

@Sabrina

Do you know if I can and/or need to book tickets for the Historium in advance as it opens the day we leave so we only have one chance to visit?

Thank you.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Hi,

You can buy tickets in advance via the website, or inside Historium. Keep in mind that you will need to visit in time slots. Every 4 to 5 minutes a group of max. 24 people may enter. A visit to the attraction takes about 35 minutes, but with everything else going on inside this building (beer cafe, chocolate concept store, souvenir store, balconies to view the Market, after show) you can easily spend one hour in Historium.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

Thanks @Sabrina. That's really helpful.

Thanks also for the info on Lake of Love restaurant. Much appreciated.

10. Re: Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival - 2012\13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, February 28, 2013