We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Hi, my husband and I are travelling from Bruges to Amsterdam on October 15, 2012. I am getting a little confused with sorting out the journey. On Thalys it looks like we can't go from Bruges to Amsterdam, it just shows me Paris. Am I missing something??? Do i have to catch one from Bruges to Brussels on a different train, and then Brussels to Amsterdam?

Also, we are training fro Paris to Bruge, so I don't know if we should be buying a rail ticket, for the whole trip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Follow up to 1st question, would it be easier to just book while we are there?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

I think you can take the Belgian Railway from Bruges to Amsterdam with a change of train in Antwerp. I have not tried it yet as I would only be visiting next March 2013.

The webite address is http://www.belgianrail.be/jp/sncb-nmbs-routeplanner/query.exe/en?S=bruges&Z=amsterdam+central&date=19/09/2012&time=15:21&start=1&timesel=depart&SALL=1&ZALL=1&&REQ0JourneyStopsSID=&REQ0JourneyStopsZID=

Good luck

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,041 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

To answer your last question first, for travel from Paris to Brugge/Bruges book with www.thalys.com - there is one through train a day, otherwise change at Bruxelles-Midi. If you select 'Any Belgian Station' (ABS) as your destination the fare will include the InterCity (IC) train from Bruxelles to Brugge. These tickets are best bought in advance as the fares only increase closer to departure date. You can buy a ticket on day of travel, but you will only get the full-price ones and there is a possibilty that the train you want may be fully booked.

From Brugge to Amsterdam you have two options. You can again use the Thalys train, but you will need to travel by IC train to Brussel (Brussel-Zuid - Bruxelles-Midi - same station) or Antwerpen-Centraal to connect with it. Again, book in advance if possible. You can get tickets on the day, again at full price. There is a €7.00 surcharge on the transaction if you buy the tickets at a Belgian station.

There is an alternative; if you take the InterCity train to Antwerpen-Centraal, you can pick up another InterCity train to Amsterdam-Centraal. The advantage of these trains is that they have a fixed fare which doesn't change no mater when you buy the ticket. Also, these services do not have reservations so never sell out. There is a €3.50 surcharge for buying at a Belgian rail station in person, but not if the tickets are bought online.

http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

I think you can take the Belgian Railway from Bruges to Amsterdam with a change of train in Antwerp. I have not tried it yet as I would only be visiting next March 2013.

The webite address is http://www.belgianrail.be/jp/sncb-nmbs-routeplanner/query.exe/en?S=bruges&Z=amsterdam+central&date=19/09/2012&time=15:21&start=1&timesel=depart&SALL=1&ZALL=1&&REQ0JourneyStopsSID=&REQ0JourneyStopsZID=

Good luck

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

We took the IC train from Amsterdam to Bruges and took it a few days later back to Amsterdam. Bought our tickets at the train station the day of. You change trains in Antwerp. Really easy.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

This is so simple.

InterCity train every hour Bruges-Antwerp, change for intercity train every hour Antwerp-Amsterdam. 3 hours 50 min or so.

Fare 48 euros, fixed price so it's always 48 euros even on the day.

No reservation necessary or even possible, turn up, buy ticket, hop on the next train.

Www.b-Europe.com (select united kingdom) to check times and fares and buy online.

Edited: 11:44 am, September 22, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Hello,

It's our first time in Amsterdam and Belgium.

I will need a public transport from Amstedam to Brugge.

Intercity is 48 euros. with 1 change in Antwerp. 4h09

Other option is Eurolines Bus at 23 euros 4h50, no change.

A good price for only 4o minutes longer...

What would you choose?

Thank you very mcuh

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

To be strictly accurate, IC+IC doesn't take 4h09, but 3h56 (e.g. dep. 07:46, arr. 11:42, dep. 08:46, arr. 12:42) while Thalys+IC takes 3h09 (e.g. dep. 08:16, arr. 11:25). However, IC cost is indeed €48 (invariable), while Thalys+IC cost varies from €86 if you were booking today for tomorrow down to €36 non-flex booking 3 months ahead.

For Eurolines, on the other hand, I think you may have left off the (obligatory) administration fee of €3 which would bring the price up to €26, and would be the price you would pay, for example, for this trip on Sun 30/9/12, dep. 10:30, arr. 15:20. Booking a month or so in advance (e.g. today for Friday 26/10/12) you can get the same departure for €16 Super Promo, including admin fee but not insurance.

I really don't see the point of asking other people which they would choose, as there is no way of knowing whether their concerns/ priorities are the same as yours. Some might welcome a change at Antwerpen-Centraal either to visit the city before continuing to Brugge or just view the (stunning) station, others might be in a hurry, others might have no option but to take the cheapest route available.

Surely you can make up your own mind whether you want to pay €48 for a trip lasting 3h56 or (I believe) €26 for a trip lasting €4h50, i.e. €22 less for 54 mins longer? WE don't know whether you would have large or small bags (with heavy luggage I personally favour buses), or whether you would be staying near, or with good connections to Amsterdam-Centraal station or Amsterdam Amstel (Eurolines departure point).

Edited: 11:04 am, September 27, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Don't know where €4h50 came from: read without €!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Bruges to Amsterdam

Thank you qaminari for all details

Sorry if it seems not to be appropriate to ask. As I never used Eurolines bus before, maybe some could talk about their experience.

But with your comment, I think I will change my mind and make a stop in Antwerp for a few hours for a short visit of the historic center. I can see a 1.5 hour walking from Central Station to Grote arkt and Groenplaats in guide Voir.

I cannot find the cost for train between Antwerp and Brugge)