We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
train between Brussels airport and Bruges

I'm a bit confused as to the easiest way to transfer between Brussels airport and Bruges. After reading about it, it appears that there are three stations to choose from; but it looks like Central is the best one to transfer to Bruges? In addition, it is my understanding that there is a train station in the Brussels airport to get you to a quick transfer? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank You!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Yes there is a train station at Brussels Airport, from which you can start your journey to Brugge by taking the airport train into Brussels (or to Ghent, although much less frequently). Yes the airport train calls at Gare du Nord, Gare centrale and Gare du Midi, and the train to Brugge calls at the same stations in the same order, therefore you can change at any of them. I don't see that the transfer is any faster at any of them, being from the same airport train to the same train headed for Brugge (final destination of the fastest, IC trains, Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge).

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Thank you. Do the trains to Bruges from all train stations leave as frequently as each other? I understand on an hourly basis at least. Not sure I understand your final statement about IC trains. Please clarify further. Can I assume I can easily buy tickets at station for Bruges or would you recommend purchasing before I leave states?

Lastly, if I decide to see some of Brussels would you recommend Central station to store luggage?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

1) " Do the trains to Bruges from all train stations leave as frequently as each other?" Of course they do, given that they are the same trains! As I already stated, "the train to Brugge calls at the same stations (Nord, Central, Midi) in the same order". These 3 stations are all in a row on the same line: you do not have additional trains to Brugge starting at e.g. Central that did not come from Nord.

2) I don't understand what you don't understand. There are 2 IC trains an hour (fastest choice because between Brussels and Brugge these stop only once, at Ghent), as well as slower trains (designated IR etc. in timetables) that stop at all stations along the way, in particular serving commuters. I explained final destination of IC trains because I thought it would help you identify these from departure board, monitors, etc. at the station.

3) Of course you can easily buy tickets at the airport station - if you were thinking tickets could sell out, this is impossible because while you are tied to the date for which you purchase the ticket, you can take any train to the destination in question on that date. You will not have a specific seat on a specific train (departure), therefore they don't stop selling tickets when a particular train is "full" - or even know if/when that occurs. It makes no difference to the price of domestic tickets whether you buy them in advance or at the station, online or in person.

4) If you are stopping off in Brussels, I would recommend Gare centrale because it is only 5 minutes from the Grand' Place. It has luggage lockers, follow signs to the "consigne".

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Do they accept credit cards or do I need to pay by cash? Thanks

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

< Do they accept credit cards or do I need to pay by cash? >

You can pay by credit card at the station ticket counters, but not in the ticket machines belgianrail.be/en/…buy-payment.aspx

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

Thanks

8. Re: train between Brussels airport and Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 25, 2013