We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
205 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

I will be coming to Bruges from Amsterdam and had booked my tickets on Thalys. My train journey will start from amsterdam and end at bruxelles-midi. However it will bypass Antwerp and I had read that transferring from Antwerp to Bruges is easier and faster than transferring from Bruxelles midi. Is this correct? I believe I can disembark from Antwerp, tour the place for a while and buy my ticket to Bruges when I am done. Please advise if this plan works or should I just train all the way to Bruxelles midi? TIA

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

If you had purchased tickets on the InterCity train instead of Thalys, you would have had to change trains in Antwerp, as this is the most direct route for non-high-speed trains. Antwerp to Brugge takes 1h28.

If, on the other hand, you had purchased a Thalys ABS (Any Belgian Station) ticket covering your trip all the way to Brugge for a price of €7 on top of the Thalys fare, this is to Bruxelles-Midi where you would change onto IC for Brugge (1 hr). It is actually faster to take the high-speed train via Brussels (3h09) than IC+IC via Antwerp (3h56)

If you didn't purchase ABS ticket, there is nothing to stop you getting off at Antwerp and buying a separate ticket to Brugge from there (€14.10) instead of from Brussels (€13.50).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
205 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

Thank you. I did not buy the ABS as I could not get this option on the Belgium rail website. This is the only website that let me buy a Thalys ticket with no credit card issue.

So is it easier/more direct to go from Antwerp to Bruges or from Bruxelles midi to Bruges? I saw on TA that Bruxelles midi is a big station while Antwerp seems to be smaller and more managable. I will be using a roller luggage plus a hand carry. Want to cut down on too much movement wth all the bags. TIA

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

The Belgian Railways website (www.b-europe.com/Travel) permits you to buy a ticket from Amsterdam to BRUGGE and this is automatically ABS! All you needed to do was to select Brugge as your destination instead of Bruxelles-Midi, and you would have found it said "ABS" next to the destination you were selecting, and explained what this meant if you clicked on the information icon, pointing out that if you DIDN'T want ABS, you needed to select Bruxelles-Midi as destination. For that matter, it would have been possible to select Antwerp as destination, as it seems you want to visit it, and buy a separate ticket from there to Brugge.

I don't know what makes you think Antwerpen-Centraal station is smaller than Bruxelles-Midi! It has 3 levels of tracks plus another 2 levels without (see photo on http://www.citytripplanner.com/en/things-to-do_Antwerp/Central-Station-interior). Whereas Bruxelles-Midi has only 2 levels (with Thalys being on the same level as the main concourse), and it feels like 1 since from all platforms, passengers are delivered into the main concourse.

But of course, if you want to visit Antwerp, then you'll have to get off the Thalys in Antwerp. There are escalators, you'll have no trouble with your luggage. If you know the times of your trains you can find out which platforms are involved using www.railtime.be, otherwise just look at the monitors at the station.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
205 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

Oh i see thank you for explaining in detail how to get the abs from belgium rail. Bery useful

Information which i should had asked about before I buy my tickets. Anyhow Thalys tickets had been bought wihout ABS and we had decided to just get off at Bruxelles midi for our onward journey to Bruges.

Another question: We are a group of 9 adults. I saw on the begium rail website that there is a 10 single trip rail pass which cost 76 euros. Can we buy and use this rail pass in order to save some money? Is there any specific name that the pass is known as? I want to know what to ask for at the ticket counter. Thank you so much

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

Yes, assuming that you are coming after the end of August (because at the moment the €7.50 weekday "summer ticket" still applies) and on a weekday (because otherwise it would be better to buy 9 "weekend return" tickets for €14.40 each), 2 x 10-trip Rail Passes would be the best way to do this.

Unfortunately Belgian Railways gave this the not-very-helpful name of "Rail Pass" (www.b-rail.be/nat/E/tarifs/passes/rail/) but if you ask for the "10-trip rail pass" they should know what you mean, especially if you add, "the one that costs €76".

This tells you how to fill it in: b-rail.be/nat/…index.php

Edited: 3:12 am, August 21, 2012
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

How much it will cost for the ticket from Brussels midi to antwerpen centraal let me know pls?

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

How much it will cost for the ticket from Brussels midi to antwerpen centraal let me know pls?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

€7.10

clausmdp
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

Trying to book train tickets from Amsterdam Airport to Bruges for my family (2 adults and 4 children: 15, 15, 13, and 11) on Jun 30 and return on Jul 2 and I can't find anything under $80 (euros) each!!!!.....On the other hand, renting a car / van with 7 seats for 2 days will cost us 270 euros. If I add up gasoline and parking it will be close to the cost of the train tickets. Which way should I go? Are there any cheaper train tickets? Thanks, Martin

10. Re: Train transfer from Antwerp or Bruxelles Midi to Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 06, 2014