We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Hello,

I've read various things about Bruges and booked a trip there towards the end of March. In all we will have about 8 hours to look around Bruges.

What I really wanted to know was is it worth travelling on to somewhere else local, such as Ghent or Ostend aswell? Would train travel be advisable, as we need the most reliable, fastest method of transportation as we have a set deadline to be back in Bruges for. Or would you suggest that we'd be better staying in Bruges for the full time as there's plenty of things to do within the 8 hours?

We would also be looking to do the boat trip down the canal in Bruges, roughly how much are we looking at for 2 people in cost/how long does the trip run for? I assume the boat trips still run in March? (On that note!! Any advise on weather for Bruges in March?!)

Thank you very much in advance

Maasmechelen...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Hey there,

I do not recommend going anywhere else if you only have 8 hours. There is lots to see in Bruges. You have the nice cathedral, cosy streets, lots of shops and as you said yourself; the canals.

There are two popular ways to explore Bruges. The first one is a boat on the canals in small groups (30 min, ⬠5,70 p.p.). The second one, which is also very nice, is a tour in a horse-drawn cab. These tours with hourses are a little more personal since only about 5 persons can ride a carriage (30 min, ⬠30 / cab).

I certainly recommend passing by the tourist office to get the best out of your day. If you stand at the front of the cathedral, facing the cathedral, you walk into the street on your left hand side away from the cathedral. After a very short walk you come into a square and the tourist office is there right in front of you.

Belgian weather is hard to predict. You can have a very sunny day at the end of march, or you can have loads of rain... just wait and see.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Eight hours isn't even enough to explore Brugge, let alone visiting another city. But then I'm a slow traveler who wouldn't be happy to rush rush it when on holiday.

Enjoy your 8 hours in Brugge and leave the other cities for another trip.

Belgium
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

A full day at Bruges is a minimum I would say.

The boat trips operate from March till november.

Have a look at the official website of the city of Bruges. You will find a lot of info in English.

brugge.be/internet/…brugge_per_boot.htm

I don't know from where in Belgium you will start, but the train will be most convenient to visit cities and town. Fast and reliable.

Bruge is on the west - east crossing rail line: Oostend - Bruges - Ghent -Brussels - Louvain - Liège.

With regard to the weather....Even what the meteo predicts can be "flexible!" Seems you live in the UK. The weather you have for example in East Anglia... will be more or less the weather 24 hours later in Belgium

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

We are about to go on our 7th trip to Bruges just before Easter. this is the perfect weekend break city. We tie it in with a booze run to Calais (you Brits will understand this!)

Its a very compact city and you will certainly have enough time in 8 hours to get a taste of what it has to offer perhaps for another trip. If you are staying longer a walk or cycle ride along the canal to Dam for lunch is well worth doing. But in 8 hours - take a boat trip, that will give you an overall view of the city. An alternative would be a trip in one of the small bus city tours which leave from the markt square, in front of the post office (under the belfry). This does a wider tour than the horse and carriage ride, though if you are a romantic they are lovely.

Take time to stop for a hot chocolate at one of the street side bars. If you are there on a Saturday morning visit the market in Z'land square for amzing barbacueing. Then take the road on the opposite side of the sqaure as you come way from the centre of the city, Hauwerstraat, and visit the flower market. If you have come by car and have room the plants a a very good buy.

Enjoy this city, but give it longer next time!

United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Thank you for all of your messages. You've helped greatly in decided on what to do in my time in Bruges.

The reasoning behind only having 8 hours in Bruges is due to the fact it is a ferry trip being run by a national newspaper (for a very nice price I might add!) We arrive in Zeebrugge and have a coach connection into Bruges Centre, thus transportation isn't a problem.

One other thing I am concerned about..I have been reading various articles about Bruges and have also noticed that on their website the majority of museums and the belfry etc are closed on a Monday - this is a real shame as Monday will be our day in Bruges, typical! Although I'm sure we will find lots of things to do to keep us busy whilst in Bruges.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

That's too bad! As in most Belgian cities museums are indeed closed on Mondays. Even most of the churches and the belfry will be closed.

Nottingham England
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Church of Our Lady is open on Monday. See the carving of Madonna and Child by Michelangelo.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1 post
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Bruges - March 2006

Thinking of going over this coming weekend myself from kent, uk...will be going on the motorbike...the sea life park looks interesting..has anyone been?