We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

I will be staying in Brussels, but we're taking a tour to Ghent and Brugges in one day (Feb. 8th 2005).

We'll be in Brugges for about 4 hours and I was wondering if that's enough time to see the place.

Thank you.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,611 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

You can certainly get a taste of Brugge as it is not a very large town. However we fly over frequently from Manchester for a long weekend and are never short of things to do - particularly if there is a good art exhibition on, which there is from time to time. You can spend several hours lingering in one of the cafes that ring the main square!

Belgium
Level Contributor
249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

For sure one day 'd be lot better

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

I think so. Its pretty but very touristy. If you have time and your a chocoholic, there is a chocolate museam there. Its pretty easy to get to and they talk about the history of chocolate. And you get to see a demonstration of them making some too (and a free sample!) :) (Its way better than the one in Brussels).

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

4 hours is definitely enough to get a good look. This is a very touristy town. The prices are a bit high as well. We spent about 4 hours there and feel it was enough. Enjoy!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

4 hours is certainly enough to gain a feel, depending on what you do...but we spent 3 days and felt a little cheated at the end; Brugge had crept into my soul and we didn't get anywhere near enough...One of the reasons it's a tourist town is because it's so beautiful. And so quiet. Historic tourist towns are always better with a night's stay. I live in one...

Scotland
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

I spent 2 nights in Brugges last September and really enjoyed it. I would reckon that 4 hours is not enough - sure you'll get a flavour of the town but will leave frustrated at not having more time there. It is compact and easy to get around, a good walking town, but also you can do the toursity things like going on a canal trip which is actually ok. Brugges has some great places to eat & drink so you'll miss out on that side of things if you only go for a few hours. Give it at least a day (and one overnight). Oh, and we didn't think it was so expensive really.

MN
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

One thing to do is eat chocolate! They have some of the best chocolate ever! Have fun!

Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

As a Belgian I can assure you Ghent and Bruges in one day is impossible.You'll have to choose and I advice Bruges.You can easily do it on foot and there are plenty of good chinese restaurants and also a three star one (in the Michelin)The touristinfo office(near townhall) is well organised and they speak many European languages

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 4hrs enough time to see Brugges?

All depends on what you call "seeing a place". If it weren't for the traffic rules, you could take a motorbike and "see" the town in 4 minutes, North to South or East to West. On foot it will cost you less than 40 minutes. In 4 hours you can cross what the locals call "the golden triangle" where a few places of intrest are agglomerated together with a majority of lace shops (Chinese lace, that is), candy shops (with real Belgian chocolate, then) and cheap restaurants (that means: less expensive than most). Some people will tell you after after suc a walk that they have "seen" Bruges in four hours. If you really want to have a taste of that lovely medieval city, take at least 4 days. I remember meeting an American there once who was on a trip with a group: "They hadn't told me it was SO beautiful here. We spend only two days in Bruges, but one should stay at least a whole week ! ".

Personnally I would say: 4 weeks will do if you want to discover a few of the of the hidden beauties of Bruges in districts where the only tourists you meet are a few well-advised Japanese who make the visits on their own, guidebook in the hand.

I lived in Bruges for eleven years and never had a second too much to enjoy not only the referenced but also the less-known treasures of that beautiful little town.