We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Required.

england
13 posts
Save Topic
Advice Required.

I am planning to take my wife to Brugge the weekend before Christmas and need some help.

I want a wholly romantic hotel, location paramount.

We have not previously visited so any words concerning must do's would be appreciated.

Budget not an issue, thanks in advance.

Norway
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Required.

Hello barbel,

You won't be disappointed, Bruges is the most beautiful place you can imagine so you couldn't have made a better choice.

Haven't been to Bruges in the winter, but guess it must be just as lovely, the only thing is that the canals will probably be frozen and therefore you won't be able to take a boatrip. I think the boat trips end in November.

But anyway there are plenty of things to do in that gem of a town and there are lots of breathtaking sights to enjoy.

Two of the best hotels in town are "Hotel De Tuilerieen" which has murano glass on the windows and is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the world, and "Hotel de Orangerie".

Both hotels have got rave reviews in this site and are just off the Market Square and a block away from one of the most beautiful and popular sights of Bruges, The Rosarie Quai (Rozenhoedkaai). See picture below:

http://www.pbase.com/image/3740118

Here are the links to both hotels and below the links to TA members' reviews on those hotels:

http://www.hoteltuilerieen.com/home.html

http://www.hotelorangerie.com/

Reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188671-d277…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188671-d232033…

Both hotel rates are over 200 euro.

Bruges has many good restaurants and even one that has a Michelin star, "De Karmeliet", haven't eaten there though, was a little too expensive for my budget, but have read it's excellent:

http://www.dekarmeliet.be/

You should try "frites" (french fries), with mayonaisse, from a street vendor and the famous Belgian waffles.

One of the typical dishes is the Flemish beef stew, cooked in dark beer and served with fries. I tried a good one at "De Vlaamsche Pot" (not far from the market) for 15.50 euro:

http://www.devlaamschepot.be/

A bistro that I liked, small but nice, with good food and very friendly owners is "Den Amand" (off the market):

http://www.straffeboog.be/amand.htm

I had another nice dinner at "Au Petit Grand" also off the market. But they don't have the non smoking policy. Still a nice restaurant:

Tel. : 050.34.86.71

Philipstockstraat 18

8000 BRUGES

Someone recommended to me "De Koetse", but in the end I didn't have time to go there:

http://www.dekoetse-brugge.be/

Bruges is also the paradise for chocoholics and beer lovers. Don't know if you are interested in one or the other, or both, so just let me know and I can recommend a few nice places where to sample the beer and buy chocolates.

Here is a link with information on bruges :

www.brugge.be

Enjoy your trip :)

Belgium
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Required.

just correcting Brujas 's post, de karmeliet has 3 stars and is rated as one of the 100 best restaurants in the world.

winter might be the best time to visit as there are definitely fewer visitors, though christmas time might be the opposite. However it gets dark early so the daytourists leave early and you have the streets for yourself.

As for a canaltrip, the canals very rarely freeze over and remember that christmas is very early in winter, I can't remember a white christmas over here myself (I'm 27yo).

Norway
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Required.

Hi thaezaer,

Thank you for the correction on the restaurant :)

As for the canals, it's good to know they don't usually freeze. I mentioned this because a friend of imne who was in Brugge in late January a few years ago told me the canals were frozen.

But even if in December they are not frozen it is most probable there are no boat trips either, they stop in November. I found that out the last time I was in Brugge (last week).

By the way, thank you for the tip on the trappists beers. I tried one of the ones you mentioned, Westmalle Trappist Dubbel, and loved it! Didn't try any fruit flavored one this time though.

england
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Required.

PEOPLE

Thank you for your time. i am even more eager to visit now!

I do have a particular liking for beer, I favour a dry, crisp continental lager. Stella, Becks and the like at home but a good Czech effort when ever available. Her Ladyship has a liking for chocolate, so any recommendations appreciated.

The eateries look superb, location likewise.

What about bars? Nothing too manic, I sadly admit to have passed the clubbing scene years ago. I am not that old though! A little atmosphere and seasonal revellry would not go amiss post dinner.

During the day I want to chill out, walking the streets taking in the sites and enjoying a more tasteful market that you continentals consider the norm but we English do not see.

Any other must sees?

Thanks again, your time really is appreciated.

Regards

Barbel.

Norway
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Required.

Hi again :)

Two places to sample beer are De Garre (don't know what time it opens but last time I went there around 12 and it was already open) and 't Brugs Beertje (opens at 4 p.m., they claim to offer 300 different kinds of beer).

Have been to both places last week and like them. 't Brugs beertje is a little more bohemian, I arrived not long after they had opened and there was just one table available. I've heard that it can be quite packed late at night. But it's definitely worth a visit. It's not far from the Market Square:

Kemelstraat 5

B-8000 Brugge

web site: http://www.brugsbeertje.be/

De Garre is closer to the market, on what must be the smallest street in Brugge, therefore very easy to miss. I spent more than an hour trying to find it!

I was looking for a street but it was more an alley. The little street has the same name as the bar, De Garre, and it's between the market Square and the Burg. It's nice as well; have only been to the first floor though; it looked a little more like a restaurant:

De Garre 1,

Brugge, 8000

I suggest you visit both places if you can and you'd better eat something while you drink beer, like for example a dish with an assortment of cheeses:

The Belgian beers I like are :

Hoegaarden (white beer, cloudy and delicious)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel (dark, 7% alcohol)

Chimay Blue (also dark 9%)

Leffe Bruin (dark)

I don't know much about beer, but those are the ones I like best, specially Hoegaarden and Westmalle Trappist Dubbel (that was recommended to me here by a couple of users).

Those two pubs are inexpensive, a beer costs between 2 and 3 euro, more or less. If you try beer or eat at any of the restaurants in the market Square you would probably pay double price, so I'd suggest you don't go there, unless of course you want to enjoy the site of the Market.

As for chocolates, well, there are lots of chocolate shops in Brugge, so it's difficult to go wrong there. "Dumon" is a good one (off the market):

Eiermarkt, 6

B-8000 Brugge

Walstraat, 6

B-8000 Brugge

They have two shops, but I've only been to the one in Eiermarket, just off the market square:

http://users.pandora.be/chocolatierdumon/

Another chocolate shop I like is 't Begijnte (but the sign outside the store says "Caffe Tasse"), the marzipan there is especially good (better than in Dumon, but chocolates are good in both)You can buy it per weight and they have different kinds, it's really good!

It's on the way to "Minnewater" (The Lake of Love):

Wijngaardstraat 16

8000 Brugge

Brugge
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Required.

Good morning,

An excellent hotel is Hotel Adornes. This 3 star family hotel offers you really everything.

Prices between 95 and 120 euro:

Lovely breakfast included, free underground parking, free bikes at your disposal and a reduction card for museums and boattrips

Excellent restaurants:

Restaurant De Stove

Restaurant Pieter Pourbus

Bistro De Pompe

What can be done: visiting museums, having a nice walk around te town while passing the windmills.

Trip to Damme etc

Have a nice stay in this lovely town!

Hendrik Cauwelier

manchester uk
Level Contributor
300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Required.

i went to Bruges last winter for my wedding anniversary. it was very very romantic in general, made especially so by the fact it was cold and christmasy - snuggling together sipping hot mulled wine and watching the skaters on the icerink was wonderful.

the restaurant i mention all the time was one off hoogstraat (20 yards off burg) called diligence - the lighting was low, the music sedate and the atmosphere relaxed and relaxing. a lovely couple run the place. hope its still there! can any brugese put my mind at rest and let me know if it is still there as i am going back in december and want a cognac there!

East Worldham...
Level Contributor
374 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Required.

Best romantic hotel is as described Orangerie or De Tuillerieen. Try www.leisuredirection.co.uk as they do Eurostar/Eurotunnel packages with hotel and offer a 3rd night free...better than going direct to hotel generally

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice Required.

Restaurant 'Diligence' is still there.

10. Re: Advice Required.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:10 am, September 16, 2006