We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Central - with luggage

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Topic
Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Central - with luggage

I read in one of the posts that if traveling from the Bruxelles Airport to Bruges with luggage, should use the Bruxelles Central Station instead of Bruxelles Midi. Can somebody explain why or give some orientation in relation to the stations and the differences in stations? We are arriving with luggage and carry-ons tired from an eight (8) hours flight and want to make our trip to Bruges as easy as possible. Thanks for the information you can give us. It will certaintly help to know all the details no matter how big or small. They will be very welcomed.

Yvonne

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Central - with luggage

Trains from the airport into Brussels call first at Bruxelles-Nord then Bruxelles-Central then Bruxelles-Midi. Timetable search sites will tell you to change at the first station, i.e. Nord, because this will save you time, given that trains for Brugge go in the same direction; so at Nord you would get off the airport train earlier and be able to catch the Brugge train earlier - always supposing that you didn't have to wait half an hour anyway.

The reason for recommending that people change at Central was, I thought, explained every time it was recommended, and it is that at that station (which has less than half the number of platforms compared with Nord or Midi), assuming that nothing has changed (and there have been some changes because of renovation work), the 2 trains call at the same platform.

So if you change at Nord, you may have to change platforms (down stairs, along corridor, up escalator) for the train to Brugge (i.e. Oostende/ Knokke/ Blankenberge); whereas at Central, allegedly you just get off the airport train, wait on the same platform, and get on another train. Naturally this would be easier with luggage.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Central - with luggage

Dear qaminari:

You truly are a life saver. My husband would get a heart attack if we had to walk along corridors, down stairs or up escalators with all our luggage at any train station. He is already worried. But now, with the information you provided we will change at Bruxelles-Central and wait for the train to Brugge in the same platform as you inform me. This is very good news. Do we still take the train to Brugge via Oostende/Knokke/Blankenberge?

Again, I thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Yvonne

3. Re: Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Central - with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 08, 2009