We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in pubs in Brugge

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
acs
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Children in pubs in Brugge

My husband and I would like to visit Brugge for a couple of nights in September (a side trip from our UK trip). I'll admit our main purpose of visiting Belgium is for the beer. We will be travelling with a toddler. Does anyone know the rules for bringing small children into pubs in Belgium? I know most of Europe is much more open about drinking than we tend to be in the US, but we want to make certain before we plan our trip.

Belgium
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

There really is no age limit to enter bars in Belgium, (however there is a drinking age limit) and you'll sometimes see kids sipping their parents beers as the idea is that you can't start early enough to appreciate our delicious brews, most kids don't like it though. Wether it's good to bring a kid in a bar is an other thing, maybe you should look for a bar that has a garden in the back so your toddler can run around.

Or ask your hotel to arrange a babysit, in Belgium there this thing called gezinsbond and they offer young teens the chance to earn some money by babysitting.

belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

You wont have any problems. You can be totally certain

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

The only thing that could bother the kids is the smoke that will be present in every cafe you visit in Belgium.

Belgium
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

how old is the child?

if you are visiting café's during the daytime, there will be no problem at all. Lots of restaurants or pubs have a outdoor sitting area where children are very welcome.

During nighttime, it is not wise to bring a kid, not even in Portland, Oregon,

I think so....

enjoy!!

london
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

No pubs refuse children during the day, or even at night. The only think that they could refuse is to give beer to the child, but that is the responsibility of the parents of course. In Bruges there are a few pubs with more then 80 different kind of beer, so I would really recommend 'Brugse Beertje' and even the Irish pub this is very large so the smoke shouldn't bother the children so much.

acs
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

Thanks to all for your advice. Our daughter is almost two. Growing up in Portland, a town big on beer, she has spent a fair amount of time in smokeless pubs. We'll just try to be flexible and take it as it comes in Bruges. We're hoping to stay at Hotel Erasmus, so at least one of us can take our daughter to our room while the other drinks beer in the restaurant.

Thanks!

glasgow
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children in pubs in Brugge

We are just back from a weekend in bruges and have to say that it seems a really family-oriented place, so I don't think you have anything to worry about...enjoy !