We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brugge to the airport

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Brugge to the airport

I'm planning to stay on Brugge for a couple of days, and I have to leave very early in the morning, for my flight back to USA leaves by 10:45am.

Is it easy to reach the airport, by 8am. Should I take a bus, a train, a cab? Thanks for helping me.

Marcia Almeida

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Belgium
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brugge to the airport

Hello Marcia,

I advise you to take the train. A cab will get stuck in traffic at 8 am.

You can find all info on trains in Belgium on this website : http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E.

From Brugge to the airport takes about 1h30. You can take a train at 6:31am, than you'll arrive at 7:56 am at the airport.

First you take the train to Brussels, there you transfer.

Have a nice stay !

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brugge to the airport

Hello, I have a similar question. Our plane to the USA (United) leaves at 12:10 PM on a Sunday. We want to take a taxi to the airport from our hotel in Brugge. (I know it costs more but one of us has back problems and this is easier with luggage before a long flight.)

About how much might this cost? About how long on a Sunday morning?

Also, the United website says get to the airport 3 hours before the flight. This seems really early...all other airports say 2 hours. Is there something about the Brussels airport that makes 3 hours needed? Thanks!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brugge to the airport

On a Sunday It should take about 1 hour to 1.5 hours by Taxi - assuming no hold ups.

Brussels is a fairly big airport with a large terminal in which it can be a fair distance to the gate. Security can take a while.

I've flown out of there many times on business, though on short routes back to the UK. I have seen it get busy, particularly at vacation time. I don't know how that applies to Sundays.

If the airline suggests 3 hours I would plan for that.

There are some cafes and shops to occupy the time!

santiago
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brugge to the airport

hi.. i have the same question.. i'm flying from Brussels International to Barcelona in september..the flights i have seen until this moment are leaving in the morning (10:00AM)..the problem is that i will be staying in Brugge, not Brussels, so i was wondering if the 3hour period would be necessary for a budget airline flight.. also, i'm a non european citizen, and i don't know if the check in could be slower?

thanks in advance for the help

Brugge
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brugge to the airport

There are some taxi firms who do special rates for airport service. Contact these people at www.brugsetaxiservice.be. On sunday it is not that busy on the Brussels highway, so 1.5h is ok. Check your flight company for check-in time. We, at charmingbrugge .be als have an airport service of our own.

Cheers, a local

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brugge to the airport

"i was wondering if the 3hour period would be necessary for a budget airline flight.. also, i'm a non european citizen, and i don't know if the check in could be slower?"

It is not the type of airline that makes a difference, or your own nationality: it is the destination, effectively continental (when it is recommended to be at the airport 2 hours before flight) or trans-continental (3 hours), and in the latter case, especially for the U.S. where in addition to the normal check-in time you have to add extra security checks just before the gate.

At check-in, everyone's passport gets checked to find out whether you have the necessary visa/nationality to benefit from visa waiver for the country you want to fly to. This takes no longer for a non-EU citizen unless of course there is a hold-up because you don't have a visa if this is necessary. What causes lines at check-in is simply the volume of passengers, and of course these are longer for cheaper flights and shorter for business class passengers.

After check in you have - if travelling from Pier B, i.e. outside Schengen zone - passport control: where there are generally longer lines for EU than non-EU passengers (although they move faster!). Travelling to Barcelona from Pier A, you only have to present a boarding card, although the airline asks for passport (or for EU citizens, national ID card) again when taking boarding passes.

After boarding card/passport control you have security, where lines depend on how many x-ray machines they have operating (often only half of those available).

And after that you can have a long walk to the gate, and in the case of U.S. flights, further security checks just before the gate.

The only thing that might make a difference as regards budget airlines (apart from whether they actually depart from Brussels Airport - many of them operate out of Charleroi!) is that charter flights sometimes use buses to the plane instead of direct entry from the terminal. This makes it important to arrive at the gate in good time for boarding.

7. Re: Brugge to the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, September 25, 2009