We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Own canal boat?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
Own canal boat?

Is it possible to rent out your own canal boat or are they are shared with other people/rowed by someone?

many thanks!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Own canal boat?

Hi!

I don´t recall seeing "rent your boat" signs I think that is not an option there... it would be cool though. I guess you have to take guided boat tours.

Brugge
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Own canal boat?

There is no possibility in renting a canal boat, even for us (living in Brugge) it isn't allowed to. There is a lot of administration to it, and there aren't a lot of docks where you can drop your boat into the water.

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Own canal boat?

thank you for your replies, if it is a guided tour with someone guiding the boat etc, is it possible to go with just you and your partner? or do you have to be guided with other tourists in the boat?

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Own canal boat?

The boat trips run with full boats, probably twenty or so people in them. The first and last couple of the day might have fewer in them but I can't recall ever seeing a "personal" trip.

There is always the carriage ride though, that's just you and the driver.

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Own canal boat?

Thank you for your reply! That's cleared a lot up!

Thanks!

Brugge
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Own canal boat?

i know some guys who do personal tours late at night, for proposals etc. but it will cost you!

Kamloops British...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Own canal boat?

Thank you, This forum answered some big questions for me! I was wondering if I could secure my own boat and tour through Belgium and the Netherlands. It was never made clear if self tours were allowed. are there any other boat trips through europe where self guiding is allowed?

London
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Own canal boat?

Try consulting a book called Narrow Dog To Carcassone, there is a linked website, about a couple that took their narrow boat from the UK across to France. They had some adventures!

Brugge
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Own canal boat?

There are two little harbours for pleasure boats where you can park your boat. Both are at about 20 min. walk to the centre.

10. Re: Own canal boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 21, 2009