We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice please for Ghent

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids traveling on budget to Belgium for the first time. We are planning to just walk around Ghent for a day. We've tried to fix our itinerary using internet info and Google maps and we would appreciate any comments regarding feasibility, things we may have missed, correct train stations, etc.

*** Brussels Centraal to Brussel-Zuid/Bruxelle-Midi to Gent-Sint-Pieters

Sint-Niklaaskerk (St. Nicholas’s Church), Sint-Michielskerk (St. Michael’s Church), Graslei and Korenlei, Gravensteen (Castle of the Counts), Patershol (medieval district), Huis van Alijn (museum featuring turn of the 19th century life in Ghent), Groot Kanonplein, Sint-Baafskathedraal (St. Bavo’s Cathedral)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

You don't need to travel from Bruxelles-Central to Bruxelles-Midi to take a train to Ghent, you can catch it at Gare centrale.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Thank you. I guess I need to study the train stations more.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
93 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Yes, you can go to Ghent from either Bruxelles Central or from the Midi Station (the same train line). Mind, the Ghent train station (Sint Pieters) is NOT in the city center and it is rather not a walking distance (especially if you travel with kids). Thus, after getting off the train there, be prepared to take the tram (I don't remember the no but it is easy to find out) to go to the city center (some 10 stops if I remember correctly).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Thank you for pointing out the distance. Is there a train station nearer to the city center? Do the trams have instructions/signs in English?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

We were in Ghent last November having taken the train from Brugge. The tram station was next door and there were a number of employees who were very helpful in giving advice and pointing us in the right direction to take the tram to the city. There were machines available to purchase tickets.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing. That is good to know. Do you have a trip report I can read? I would love to pick up tips from your trip since we will be visiting Bruge as well.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Trains from Brugge or Brussels to Ghent only stop at Gent St. Pieters. You can change there for Gent-Dampoort station which is on the line to Antwerp, but it isn't close enough to the city centre compared with the tram from GSP.

You need tram no. 1 direction Wondelgem/Evergem (not Flanders Expo which is the direction you will want coming back to the station), and I think you still get off at Korenmarkt, near the cathedral. The trams are no longer "next door" to the train station at GSP but at the front of the station, they have been doing a lot of work around there but there are maps and diagrams showing where to go so you shouldn't get lost. You will find a map showing which trams and stops ("perron") are to be found where at the station, on delijn.be/images/…2029-4-2013_tcm7-32588.pdf

The ticket machines are in 4 languages including English, but there is also a De Lijn office (Lijnwinkel) where you can buy tickets. In your situation you might want a multi-trip card called a Lijnkaart, which will cost €9 - if you buy individual tickets they cost €1.20. You can also buy individual tickets - not multi-trip cards - on board the tram but then they cost more (€2).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

Got it! Tram it is then.

9. Re: Itinerary advice please for Ghent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 10, 2014