We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
510 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

I have never been to Europe. Are there any special events or suggestions for a week long trip based in Ghent?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Madrid, Spain
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

In Gent, the train station is a bit far for the city, but for the rest, you do not have to take any tram or bus. The best tram for the centre is the red line and the price is 1,20 € for a single ticket

The best bar I found with great environment, not bery big, but perfect for a beer or two- in the evening- is called Bar des Amis and it is in front of Saint Jacobs church.

As mentioned in a guide "If had not spent one night in Gent, you have not really been in Gent" Nightlights are amazing.

They have recently changed the info&tourism office and now it is in the area of the Castle, bear it in mind

Another small town that I liked and not very well know is Leuven, on the other side of Brussels, I do not know if you will go in that direction.

I have been passing the last weekend there; adorable.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Bar Des Amis
Bar Des Amis
199 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

Ghent is a good choice for a base. If ever fed up with the city, you have easy connections with Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels and Mechelen. And even smaller province towns like Ieper, Kortrijk, Dendermonde or Oudenaarde have enough to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Mechelen
Mechelen
Ieper (Ypres)
Ieper (Ypres)
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

Staying in Ghent and making day-trips to Brugge, Antwerp and Brussels will keep you busy for a week... If you are interested in film, october international festival in Ghent...If you need any suggestions for pubs or food in ghent let us know

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

When is the International Film Festival in Ghen in October 2012? I guess hotels will be expensive then, right? And, maybe even hard to find, right?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

From google, Ghent International Film Festival: 9 – 20 October 2012.

You can easily research hotels for availability and price during this period using list of "Ghent hotels" on the left-hand side of this page. The sooner you book, the easier it is likely to be, right?

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

Hotels will be no problem in october....(I think) Nice B&B is Simon Says (owner is an American) or Faja Lobi or the broderie, hostel 47 (budget option)...

My girlfriend works for the festival, so if you have any questions....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

I am still debating if my wife and I should stay in a hotel at Ghent or Brugges or Antwerpen since we are still going to these places including Ostenden. What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

I wonder if our planned itinerary is wrong. After staying two days in Brussels, we are going up north to Ghent, Brugges, Antwerpen (and Ostenden, maybe). But then, we are going south to Luxemburg there after. What do you guys think?

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

Depends....what are you looking for?

Bruges, beautiful but very touristic...more like a an open-air museum, not a vibrant city IMO.....a day trip will do (IMO)

Ghent...more or less same same scenery, but bigger, better nightlife (great actually), a mix of students, tourists, locals...

Antwerp, great city ( better food options), great shopping,....much bigger then Ghent

itinerary....Brussels-Luxembourg or Ghent-Luxembourg, not a big difference...from Ghent 30 minutes more train

To advice you, need more info about your interests and travel style, have a nice trip...

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a week trip in October 2012.

My wife is more interested in bldgs, architectural design, monument and some museum but not a lot of museum, catholic churches and more sight seeing. My interest is all of the above plus historical aspecs of places. Definitely food of places that we visit that are authentic to the place is good.

thanks for this info below:

itinerary....Brussels-Luxembourg or Ghent-Luxembourg, not a big difference...from Ghent 30 minutes more train

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent