We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent - which night to spend here?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent - which night to spend here?

Hello,

we are planning to go on a "canal city tour" including Amsterdam, Ghent & Brugges from Wednesday through Sunday....I'll be traveling with a group of 8 friends in the late 20's-early 30's. We are planning to only spend one night in Ghent, and would like to know which is the best night to stay? We want to hit bars and maybe a club (with good house/Euro dance music) to see the famed night life, and while normally I would assume that is on a Saturday, I read somewhere that Ghent is at its most happening on Thursdays.

Is that true?

Also, any advice on bars / clubs? Thanks in advance!!!

Ghent BeerWalk
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Guide in Ghent
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Vizit
Sightseeing Tours
Ghent
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

Hi,

It's true that students mostly go out on Thursday nights. This is because they usually go home for the weekend on Friday evening, since most students don't actually live in Ghent. However, I don't think this is the kind of nightlife you're after...

I suggest you go to Culture Club on a Friday or a Saturday (www.cultureclub.be)

If you can't make it there, maybe check out Make-Up Club (www.make-up-club.be) which is a lot closer to the city centre.

A third option is Charlatan (www.charlatan.be)

This place is also very popular, but less 'trendy'

For bars I can advise you NOT to go to either De Dulle Griet, De Trollenkelder or Het Trappistenhuis. Only go there if you want to drink a special beer that they don't serve in other bars. They're just ridiculously expensive. My regular bar in Ghent is Marimain, which is close to the Make-Up Club, so this could be a nice combo for a Friday- or Saturday night.

Hope this helps...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

Thank you for your help!

Are these clubs you list within walking distance from city center? If not, is it easy to catch a cab?

Gent, België
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

Charlatan and Make Up club are in or very close to the city center, so walking would be the best option. For the Culture Club, you'll probably want to take a cab. There are cabs at the Korenmarkt in the center of Ghent, near the Sint-Michielshelling (the bridge). In less than 10 minutes you will be at your destination.

Have fun!

Ghent
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

If you're going to Culture Club, please bear in mind that this is a very trendy place.

This means you WON'T get in if you're all guys and no girls, or if you aren't dressed to the nines...

Also, Culture Club and Make-Up Club are expensive when it comes to ordering drinks. A regular beer costs at least 3 euro, which is quite ridiculous.

That's why I recommended going to the Marimain first to get boozed up a little before going to the Make-Up Club, which is just around the corner...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

Thank you both very much! Can't wait to see and experience your wonderful city

6. Re: Ghent - which night to spend here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, October 10, 2009