We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent Festival

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
191 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent Festival

Hi there,

As I 've learned there will be a big festival in Ghent from 13 July until 22 July.

I've some blogs about drunk people during this festival and vomitting in the city center.

Is it safe to be in Ghent during this time? Is it possible to walk in the city centre and visit tourist sights during this time?

Are there any special events worth for non-Dutch and non-French speakers / tourists during this time?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
4 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent Festival

Tourists perhaps, it is very rare to see an obviously drunk Belgian.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent Festival

Of course tourist sights are open (except on any day when the attraction in question would normally be closed), and the city is fine during festival mornings and at least early afternoons, when a number of events are aimed at children anyway. It's in the evening and especially late at night that the raucous elements tend to come out.

As you don't mention your actual date, you will have to look at the programme on here to check whether there is anything that interests you on the day(s) when you are likely to be there: https://gentsefeesten.stad.gent/en - language is not an issue for most music, dancing (oriental, salsa, Indian), circus/acrobatics, mardi gras parade (yes, really!) or fireworks, for instance, but you probably wouldn't want to listen to stand-up comedy in Flemish (though I notice that Adam Hall, an Australian comic, is on on 17/7). And no there is nothing specifically for tourists - Flemings also follow English-language groups, comedians etc. so their occasional presence is not an indication that they are catering.to anyone but themselves. But of course there are foreigners attending, and quite likely to be the ones behaving badly, if any.

Edited: 3:29 pm, June 10, 2018
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
191 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent Festival

Thank you very much for your post.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent Festival

Ahem. It seems that Adam Hall, while Australian, is a "singer, trumpeter and bandleader": I confused him with Adam HILL, who is an Australian stand-up comedian (and not at the festival..)!

Reply to: Ghent Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;