We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Trip Itinerary

Which Aalst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
beaufort, sc
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Europe Trip Itinerary

My husband and I (mid 60s) have purchased tickets to Europe for a four week vacation in April. We will be flying into and out of London. We have done this several times before and enjoy the challenge of planning the details involved. Even though I know most TA advisors do not recommend trying to visit too many locations in a single trip like this, it is important to us to get to these areas in case we don't get to go back again. Please feel free to offer advice and know that your critiques will be greatly appreciated. We are budget travellers, and I have spent many hours choosing itineraries which fit that requirement. I am posting two itineraries for your critiques:

Option 1

London to Brussels by Eurostar-2 nights in Brussels

Brussels to Zurich by train-2 nights in Zurich

Zurich to Milan by train-3 nights in Milan

Milan to Athens by air- 5 nights in Greece

Athens to Rome and on to train station in route to Naples and Amalfi-5 nights in southern Italy

Naples to Prague-flight on Wizz Air (any comments here?)-3 nights in Prague

Prague to Berlin by train-3 nights in Berlin

Berlin to Amsterdam by train- 3 nights in Amsterdam

Amsterdam to London by train and ferry Dutch flyer-Hook of Holland

Option 2

London to Amsterdam via Hook of Holland Dutch flyer-3 nights in Amsterdam

Amsterdam to Berlin by train-3 nights in Berlin

Berlin to Prague by train-3 nights in Prague

Prague to Athens by air- 5 nights in Greece

Athens to Rome and on to train station in route to Naples and Amalfi- 5 nights in southern Italy

Naples to Milan by air-3 nights in Milan

Milan to Zurich by train-2 nights in Zurich

Zurich to Brussels by train- 2 nights in Brussels

Brussels to London via Eurostar

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments on these plans.

6 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

Sorry but what is your question about AALST - as you put this in the forum for Aalst - or even Belgium? It seems that with both options, your visit to Belgium would be limited to 2 nights in Brussels, and the only difference would be the direction of travel.

I suggest you ask in the train travel forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr… - indicating on what basis you want people to comment, as it isn't exactly clear what criteria they are supposed to apply.

Glen Rock, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

Just sayin here.... but, are you crazy! I need a vacation just after reading those 2 itineraries!!!

That really alot of ground to cover and alot of train travel have you looked at the train schedules yet?, and packing and unpacking!!! And please do yourselves a favor and travel with the smallest suitcase possible, as not all train stations have down escalators!

But as suggested you may want to re-post under Europe and not Aalst... good luck!

beaufort, sc
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

Since it's not possible to post this topic in a general "Europe" forum, I have posted it now in the forums for each city/area that we wish to visit. I'm sure you are right that we will be enroute much of the time, but we just can't bear to drop any place off the list! Thanks for your reply.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

It IS possible to post it in a general forum - the train travel forum - as regards those parts that you would be doing by train, at least. In fact there is also an air travel forum, if you don't feel you can ask your questions about specific flights in the forum for one or the other city directly concerned.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

As you have posted the same question twice under a different heading, you will probably get replies on both so check.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe Trip Itinerary

Re suitcases, it's not just lack of escalators, in many countries getting onto a train involves climbing up several very narrow steps. This is not comfortable even without luggage. And getting off can be even worse (you are very aware of the gap too!)

Reply to: Europe Trip Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aalst
More Aalst Topics